[ANSWERED]Apple Watch Extension

Posted on
Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:30 am
autolog offline

Re: [ANSWERED]Apple Watch Extension

Gary_BBGames wrote:
... I have a socket.io server that is protected with SSL, the apps connect to that if a unique ID is present. ...
Just checking my understanding here - where is this server running and what happens if it is unavailable?

Posted on
Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:41 am
Gary_BBGames offline

The server is a Linode server I pay for, if the server is unavailable then your actions will fail. The Apple TV app will periodically try to reconnect.

This feature, Home Remote: Remote, is completely optional and not a requirement of Using the Home Remote app.

Posted on
Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:45 am
autolog offline

OK - So if I understand correctly (possibly not :? ) the Apple TV App requires this server to work?
The Apple Watch App doesn't require it to work?

I have ordered an Apple TV - so quite interested in this :)

Posted on
Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:45 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

Nope, there is no requirement of this server for the app to work on the device.

Sorry for confusing the issue here.

Ignoring that feature, the app will display the actions you set up on the iOS app, and display and execute them on the Apple TV, independently of any other device.

You will be able to trigger your indigodomo actions from the Apple TV as a stand alone unit.

Posted on
Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:10 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm still missing some key thing here I guess: where is the Apple TV app getting the things to display in the grid? And how are the actions being triggered? Keep in mind that I I've not really been keeping up with this thread since I don't have an Apple Watch... :D

[EDIT] - ok, the edit to your post clears things up for me. Your iOS app is used to configure what's shown as well as collecting username/password/connection information (and the next version will support digest auth). Once configured there, then it's automatically available in your watchOS and tvOS app since it's all sync'd across the user's iCloud account. Nice!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:34 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

Perfectly understood :)

Posted on
Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:43 pm
DVDDave offline

Hi all!

Sorry I've been so quiet on this thread, but I wanted to wait until my Home Remote testing with Gary was complete and some issues with SSL URLs and digest authentication were resolved. I've tried the latest test version which is about to be released and I'm pleased to offer my enthusiastic recommendation of this fine product.

My wife and I have been using Home Remote on our Apple Watches and iPhones, and I've been using Home Remote Remote on my Mac as well with complete success. Particularly impressive is that my wife regularly uses it to set the alarm, unlock the door, raise the thermostat, etc. This is the first program that she has accepted to this extent so I give the WAF an A+. I also like the way the app syncs over iCloud with all my devices and the ability to edit and move the configurations between my wife and me is very convenient. I'm very much looking forward to trying it with an Apple TV I hope to get tomorrow.

Furthermore, Gary has been great to work with. He's been totally responsive to my concerns and has tenaciously worked through some tricky technical issues with me. I hope he expands the app with additional functions, especially the display some sort of status coming back from Indigo, which, of course, is one of my favorite Mac programs.

Needless to say, I highly recommend the product to anyone with an iPhone and/or Apple Watch.

--Dave

Posted on
Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:17 am
Gary_BBGames offline

Thanks Dave, what a review! :) Super pleased I got your issue, sorry it took so long, it was more a general authentication issue rather than a indigodomo issue, but regardless, it's fixed now.

Now I can talk more freely about the new Apple TV, I cover that version of Home Remote a bit more thoroughly in this video: https://youtu.be/QjxBj4Xalos

If any users here use Home Remote and have a new Apple TV I can provide beta access for testing until the final version is out if you would like, just DM me.

Posted on
Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:09 am
DVDDave offline

Gary_BBGames wrote:
If any users here use Home Remote and have a new Apple TV I can provide beta access for testing until the final version is out if you would like, just DM me.

Hi Gary,

I just ordered an Apple TV for store pickup this morning! Of course, I would love to beta test your app. You have my email. :)

--Dave

Posted on
Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:21 am
artpics offline

using the app on the Watch very quick and responsive thx :D

Posted on
Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:45 pm
durosity offline

Two minor feature requests I'd love to see:

Complication on  Watch for easy access

Ability to have different sort orders on different devices. The layout I have on my today tab on my iPhone doesn't work on the watch, not sure how it'll look on the Apple TV yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:31 pm
autolog offline

I have got the new Apple TV Installed :D

The App Store is a bit problematic, in that it is a pain to find Apps - there needs to be a category / listing in iTunes so that you can at least see what is available IMHO.
Only installed a few free ones so far - not sure this is groundbreaking TV (yet) :wink:

Looking forward to trying out Home Remote when it becomes available :)

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:11 am
Gary_BBGames offline

I just wanted to offer a quick explanation on the delay in getting the Apple TV invites sent out.

In order to give out a TestFlight beta, Apple requires any new version of an app to go through a beta review process before being able to distribute the app.
I am currently stuck with a non-technical reviewer who is unable to understand the application.
I am working with them to get the point and functionality of the app across.

Until they press "go" I am unable to send out Apple TV beta invites.

Sorry of the delay.

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:37 am
durosity offline

Doh! Fingers crossed they'll work it out soon :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:08 pm
Gary_BBGames offline

Hey guys, I found out somethings cool today. The Siri remote can control the focus engine on tvOS on the Apple TV, this means that if Home Remote is open on the Apple TV then you can use Siri on the remote to control it.

Here is a quick video: http://youtu.be/T9_AzlE8Pxs

I think the default state of mine will be sleep off, app open and telly off, but means I can just grab the remote to trigger actions.