LightPad App

Posted on
Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:14 pm
kwijibo007 offline

LightPad App

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but I noticed a new App in the App Store last night called "LightPad". It's a very light weight Indigo App that let's you control a maximum of 6 lights. It costs $2.50 (in the Australian App Store, maybe less in the US). To configure it you need to enter the device ID and a friendly name. I'm guessing the App just sends a simple RESTFUL command to Indigo referencing the device ID. There's no device state reading so each light just has an "On" and "Off" button. It's certainly not an Indigo Touch replacement (by any means). I think the premise of the App is to allow very quick control of lights. It appears to be a very cool idea and is well executed.... except... as yet it doesn't support authentication.

**Update - 24/02/2015** - Please read later posts, authentication is now supported.

I was a little peeved to discover the no authentication aspect after purchasing the App as nowhere on the App Store description does it mention this. I'm very happy to support this but they really should be upfront about not supporting authentication. I imagine that most Indigo users are using authentication. As a result it's now just another app icon taking up real-estate.
Last edited by kwijibo007 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:22 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Re: LightPad App

Also, to search for it in the App Store it's "Light Pad - Home Automation".

Posted on
Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:37 pm
JohnConrader offline

Hi,
I am the developer behind Light Pad.

I am working on the authentication part. I know a few people with Indigo and they don't use authentication - they only use it inside their house, so I didn't make the authentication a priority. I will put a note in the app store and I will move authentication up to a higher priority (next update).

You are correct. Light Pad was not designed to take the place of Indigo Touch. It really was something I wanted to control lights in a quick and easy way. I have an old PalmPad remote that is just not that reliable with my setup. I wanted something simple to use to replace that.

Anyhow, if you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to contact me.

Have a nice day,
John
NerdsGeeksGurus, LLC

Posted on
Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:21 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Hi John,

The App looks great and once authentication is supported I'm sure I'll be using it to quickly control lights. I think my wife will especially like it as it's very uncomplicated.

Pete

Posted on
Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:21 pm
JohnConrader offline

I just submitted the update with authentication support. Look for it in about a week (Apple seems to be taking a week to approve apps).

John
NerdsGeeksGurus, LLC

Posted on
Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:03 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Thanks John, I'll look out for it.

Posted on
Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:07 pm
kwijibo007 offline

Hi All,

Light Pad 1.2.0 has just been released and works well with authentication. My wife really likes it as it's simple and fast and unlike control pages in Safari, doesn't prompt for authentication.

IMHO, for fast switching of lights it's well worth a couple of bucks.

Posted on
Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:08 am
howartp offline

LightPad App

John, where do you want bug reports and discussions?

There's something awry with your auth settings page. I just tried several times to enter my password but it still said wrong it needed authentication details. I then entered completely wrong details and tried again - it let me login this time (?!?!) so I went back to settings - it had overwritten the wrong details with my correct ones I'd entered earlier.

Peter

Posted on
Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:38 pm
JohnConrader offline

Bug reports can be sent from my website. Go to iTunes and then select support URL. I don't want to post it here without permission.

John

Posted on
Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:50 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi John,

Feel free to post a link to your site here.

Page 1 of 1