Using Explicit Control Pages in Indigo Touch

Posted on
Wed May 21, 2014 7:42 am
jasondoiron offline

Using Explicit Control Pages in Indigo Touch

Can anyone please share tips for customizing Indigo Touch iPhone app so that the end-user bypasses all tabs (devices, actions, variables, control pages) and goes directly to a pre-defined default control page? If this feature currently does not exist, any tips or tricks to get me one step closer to this solution?

Basis for this request: I am trying to simplify the technology for my family and I do not want my kids to accidentally click the wrong button and change a variable or control specific devices such as accidentally setting off my home security alarm.

Goals:
Minimize button clicks
Provide a rich, simplified, and engaging end-user experience through control pages

Thanks,
Jason

Posted on
Wed May 21, 2014 8:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Using Explicit Control Pages in Indigo Touch

The control page editor has a checkbox to hide the tab bar when the page is shown on Indigo Touch. You can use the Indigo Touch URL schemes to hide the navigation bar at the top.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed May 21, 2014 10:20 am
jasondoiron offline

Excellent! This is exactly what I was looking for...thanks!

Any idea how to add the URL as a iPhone home screen button?
I know to bookmark any URL as a home screen button, but this may be a challenge for Indigo since using a URL of indigo://controlPage/XYZ will open the Indigo Touch app instead of a web page. The only way that I see the "Add to Home Screen" button is if I first launch a real web page (not the app)....

Thoughts?

Posted on
Thu May 22, 2014 1:36 pm
howartp offline

Hi Jason,

As an IT manager I`ve done plenty of reading on configuring / deploying Apple devices in the corporate world.

I think one of the tools we use (which is perfectly usable for home users with a bit of know-how - such as anyone likely to be playing in Indigo) would be the only way to achieve what you want.

It is the iPhone Configuration Utility.

Although this does loads of other stuff as well, it allows you to configure custom home screen icons in a `Profile` which you can then email to your phone and install.

I might try it when I get home and upload a sample if you want to try it.

Peter

Posted on
Thu May 22, 2014 1:39 pm
jasondoiron offline

Great suggestion, thanks Peter. Much appreciated.

Posted on
Thu May 22, 2014 1:58 pm
howartp offline

Just tried it and it does work as I thought.

Install the app, go to `Configuration profiles`. Give it a name and identifier on the General page. Then scroll down to Web Clips (Apple`s name for home screen shortcuts). When you`re done, hit `Export` and `Security: None`. Save it somewhere as a .mobileconfig file and email to your phone(s).

http://www.OakworthMethodists.org/Resources/IndigoForum.mobileconfig is a sample file if you want to try it, or open it in the Utility to see the settings. It is a home screen shortcut to THIS thread on these forums - everyone`s IP address for Indigo will be different or I`d have used one of those.

Peter

Page 1 of 1