[ANSWERED]Sharing designs

Posted on
Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:23 am
evansgo offline

[ANSWERED]Sharing designs

I am wondering if I am missing something, I've been browsing around for a while (only just purchased Indigo Pro) and new to Indigo, but learning fast and have not seen an area for sharing the control page designs. Having been used to Remote Central where every-one is sharing their designs, it seems a little strange that there is so little design sharing happening here for others to use as starting points for themselves or am I missing something about how easy / hard it is to do?

Also on a related question, I have seen a program called Blueprint https://itunes.apple.com/app/blueprint/id405203705?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4, would something like this work with indigo?

Thanks,
Gareth

Posted on
Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:17 am
col offline

Re: Sharing designs

Hi,

Not sure if this is what your looking for but have a look here
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1506

Posted on
Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:18 am
RogueProeliator offline

You'll have to scroll through lots of pages, but there are plenty of examples in this thread. There is where I (and probably many others) gathered ideas before creating/refining my pages.

Adam

Posted on
Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:27 am
evansgo offline

Thanks guys, but (and this may not even be possible) what I really meant was why just show a pic of what you have done, why not share the actual designs so someone else can use them themselves. It seems like an obvious thing to do to me, but maybe its not that simple - I'm just trying to understand how it all works, as I have VERY low graphic / design abilities, I'm always on the lookout for others to assist in this area :)

Posted on
Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:40 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo does let users drag and drop in/out Control Pages now, which does make sharing possible. However, these Control Page clippings don't include the images currently. So the images have to be bundled up as well. And the last problem is that once you import a Control Page you have to go through and select the control individually and specify which devices/variables/etc they are supposed to be connected to. So it isn't as easy as just importing a template and having it immediately work -- there is some manual steps involved as well.

That said, I don't recall seeing much sharing of the Control Page clippings (created when you drag in/out a Control Page from the main window). Maybe most folks don't realize that feature exists?

Posted on
Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:47 am
col offline

I would very much doubt that what works for me would work for you, way too many variables, this is the beauty of Indigo, steal some ideas and keep working on it, I started with a page full of buttons to turn things on and off, not great on the eye but it worked, over time I have started to make my control pages look more professional and I think they are almost at that level.

Enjoy

Posted on
Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:03 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Did not know that feature existed, Matt... might be time to try some experimentation. If I am reading this correctly, it might be a way for plugin developers to give users some semblance of a pre-built control page (or part of it) that they could drag in to their own pages? Obviously would need some tweaking on their end, but might give some users a head start.

Would be cool to experiment with regardless - thanks for that info/heads up!

Posted on
Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:15 pm
evansgo offline

Yes that's the sort of thing I mean. I'm not looking for it to be all done for me but something to get me started would be awesome. I have a very professional looking Phillips IR remote control made possible by a lot of talented people drawing custom artwork that U=I have adapted for my own purpose, no way could I have ever done it on my own. Then once mine was complete, I shared it to help out others....

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/graphics/list.cgi for more of the sort of thing I was talking about.

Posted on
Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:39 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

The other issue with this is that many people build their pages based on the devices they plan to use them on, so the sizing may not be appropriate for what you use it on. That being said, I think once Indigo gains some basic moldable UI elements for control pages this kind of thing will be much easier.

Page 1 of 1