New Indigo touch free?

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:55 pm
col offline

New Indigo touch free?

Hi Matt & Jay,

I know you guys are working hard on a new upgrade to Indigo touch and was wondering if it will be a free upgrade as before or paid upgrade, from my point of view it should be a paid for app to help with your development costs.

I much prefer to pay and see updates on quality products (and I am not talking about 99p UK price), I would have thought at least £15 would be reasonable for a major release and then maybe in-app purchase for certain features.

Thoughts?

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:49 pm
durosity offline

Re: New Indigo touch free?

I’m with Colin on this one.. i’d be more than willing to pay for your time and effort. I guess it’s a difficult balance between loss leader to sell more copies of Indigo itself, vs the development costs of a new iOS app.. but whatever you decide to do it’ll be on my immediate purchase list.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:17 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the feedback. Especially feedback saying we should charge for it. :wink:

Seriously though, we haven't decided yet on this, but it is something we'll be considering. There are several different scenarios to consider: totally free, purchased app, free lite app + paid pro app, free app + in app purchases for some functionality, etc.

Posted on
Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:51 am
kw123 offline

Matt and Jay..

you eventually will need to answer the question if you don't need a 3rd person.. There are so many improvements possible today and they will continue to come in the future even more. Always deciding to not do the lower 90% is not a good idea in the long run.

I believe the money is there to pay for a high quality product. If you compare the $xxx for software with the $x,xxx for hardware it is a small amount - for me it is ~ 5% of the total cost. A better software can help significantly.

Naturally you could decide to have a low, medium and high end product.. but those are details you are probably discussing internally.

just my 5 "dollars"

Karl

Posted on
Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:57 pm
mat offline

Personally, I would prefer just two apps (light and pro) and no in-app purchases as it keeps it simple - happily pay £15 - £20 if it assists with development - it's essential - so if higher, so be it :)

Mat

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:30 pm
col offline

Agreed, there should be a free lite version,

For those of us that want more we must be prepared to pay for it.

To be honest, I think we have been spoilt with so much development and the help we get on these forums, I for one don't want that to stop.

oh, and lets not forget we have had the prism remote access for free so far.

Thanks for all your hard work guys, it really is appreciated.

Posted on
Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:24 pm
wiery offline

Personally i'd prefer to pay more for Indigo application than the iOS client. I've no problem paying the £15 / whatever for Indigo Touch cost myself, however trying to convince the wife to pay it on her apple id is a different matter, hard enough smuggling new modules / sensors into the house without her knowing, am sure i'm not alone here....

Posted on
Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:36 pm
berkinet offline

col wrote:
Agreed, there should be a free lite version,

For those of us that want more we must be prepared to pay for it.

+1

How about a lite version that just does devices and maybe actions. Pro version for variables and control pages. That sort of maps to the Indigo server versions.

But, however you break it out, paying for something that brings value is fine with me.

Of course, once you start charging, customer expectations will likely rise commensurate to the cost.

Posted on
Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:20 pm
nsheldon offline

One thing that I haven't seen anyone say yet is that it doesn't matter how much (if any) is charged for an updated Indigo Touch app. Paying more money won't magically give Matt and Jay more time to work on the app. :-)

Posted on
Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:37 pm
ckeyes888 offline

nsheldon wrote:
One thing that I haven't seen anyone say yet is that it doesn't matter how much (if any) is charged for an updated Indigo Touch app. Paying more money won't magically give Matt and Jay more time to work on the app. :-)

True, but an decent income could afford them some help to get it done.
+1 on whatever it may cost to get a great Touch app.

Carl

Posted on
Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:39 pm
noefresh offline

+1 to paying for it. Any update on the next update and will it be more in line with the look of iOS7?

Posted on
Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:02 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

No ETA yet, but it is our top priority. 8)

Posted on
Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:14 pm
roussell offline

How about fixing the current iOS app so that it displays properly on high-res screens and release that as the free or 'classic' app. I wouldn't think that'd take a lot of time for that one change. Then devote your time to a new paid-for version of the client that incorporates the feature requests we've been nagging you about for so long. ;-)

Terry

Posted on
Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:16 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Afraid that ship has sailed - Apple is no longer approving apps (or updates) that use an SDK less than iOS7… :roll:

We're working hard on the next version though, so there's light at the end of the tunnel (though we don't know when yet). We will be leaving the current version up for anyone using iOS 3-6 though.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:31 pm
dgahagan offline

I guess I'm in the minority here. I switched from Homeseer Pro to Indigo because the iOS app was included free of charge. Spending hundreds or thousands of dollars for software for a hobby I can't justify spending even more to get an iOS or Andriod client, especially when I paid up for the Pro version.