Indigo Touch Broken on iOS 16 release

Posted on
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:50 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Touch Broken on iOS 16 release

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be hardware or iOS version specific. So it is either related to some iOS setting we haven't been able to identify yet, or is a subtly corrupt version of iOS, possibly related to it being upgraded from older versions. A full factory reset might get it working, but to our knowledge no one has tried it yet (it may not work if the restoring process just reintroduces whatever settings/corruption is causing it). The stack trace shows it is crashing deep inside iOS UI rendering calls.

We have a potential workaround that we hope to privately beta test in the next few weeks. Appreciate everyone's patience on this – it is definitely a vexing bug for us to track down and work around.

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:19 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We just had a user report that they were able to prevent Indigo Touch from crashing by changing the iOS font text size to not be large. This setting is inside iOS Settings->Display & Brightness->Text Size. Also try turning off Display Zoom (at the bottom of the Display & Brightness settings sheet) which require an iOS reboot.

If you are experiencing the crash, then try editing those iOS settings to see if it fixes the problem. Note we've still been unable to reproduce the problem even when changing the settings to use the largest text size (and bold and display zoom) enabled so we cannot verify if these steps prevent the crash.

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:27 am
gskarp offline

Yep that did it for me. I guess I will have to keep my readers close by from now on...

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:28 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We'll definitely have a more permanent workaround for the problem in the next iOS release that doesn't require changing the iOS setting.

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:37 am
Sully offline

This worked for me, App works as expected now. For the record my font was not as large as it can be, slider was up about 75%, i turned it down one click and it fixed it, i never had Display Zoom enabled.

matt (support) wrote:
We just had a user report that they were able to prevent Indigo Touch from crashing by changing the iOS font text size to not be large. This setting is inside iOS Settings->Display & Brightness->Text Size. Also try turning off Display Zoom (at the bottom of the Display & Brightness settings sheet) which require an iOS reboot.

If you are experiencing the crash, then try editing those iOS settings to see if it fixes the problem. Note we've still been unable to reproduce the problem even when changing the settings to use the largest text size (and bold and display zoom) enabled so we cannot verify if these steps prevent the crash.

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:02 pm
ps2 offline

I have an Xs and I had NOT experienced the crashing problem but was working on an 11 Pro that was having the issue. When I cranked up the font size on my Xs, it started to crash. Putting it back to the original size stopped the crashing.

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There is definitely some other factors involved - neither of us can reproduce the crash regardless of those settings. In any event, we're glad that there appears to be a workaround until we can get an Indigo Touch release out with a more permanent workaround for this iOS bug.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:51 pm
DaveL17 offline

Can reproduce. XR will crash with font size turned up. Turned it back returns app to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:00 pm
DaveL17 offline

UPDATE: Changing the font size (and changing it back) also borked my Mail.app and my weather widget (and probably other things). I had to force close Mail (even after setting the font back) to restore it.

There is definitely something larger afoot.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:07 am
Redrocker offline

Being that I will be out of the country and needed this to work, I gave the font resize a try and Bingo! it worked for me as well. Odd, very odd.

~Mark
Indigo 2021.2

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:45 pm
yosappy offline

Yes, it FIXED IT for me, too. Thank You!

Yo

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:19 am
pacman offline

New iphone 14 pro with ios16 does not run Touch app. Wife iphone 13 update to ios 16 no longer supports Touch app either. Deleting and reinstalling doesn’t fix the problem. I run the interface through my Safari web browser and it works fine, but we have to log on each time we use it, a real nuisance.

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:32 am
yosappy offline

pacman wrote:
New iphone 14 pro with ios16 does not run Touch app. Wife iphone 13 update to ios 16 no longer supports Touch app either. Deleting and reinstalling doesn’t fix the problem. I run the interface through my Safari web browser and it works fine, but we have to log on each time we use it, a real nuisance.

I have an iPhone Pro 14 Max running iOS 16.2 & it works fine, as long as the TEXT SIZE is set to Tab #6, or BELOW. As soon as I put the Tab to #6.5, or above, it crashes. This is a STRANGE PROBLEM; but, Apple does mention that Applications without Dynamic Text Sizes will have problems. I do not know whether, or not, Indigo Touch uses Dynamic Text Sizes; but, I do know that setting it, as I say above, works fine. Good Luck!

Yo

Posted on
Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:18 pm
Flenser offline

Any news on a fix?

My wife uses large type on her iPad, and Indigo Touch crashes at launch, even after deleting it (not just hiding it in Springboard) and re-installing it.

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The next major release (no time estimate on release) will work around the iOS bug. In the mean time the only work around is to not use the iOS large type setting.