[ANSWERED]: iPad Issue with Touch

Posted on
Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:11 am
mclass offline

[ANSWERED]: iPad Issue with Touch

Now, here's a challenge!

I have been using Touch (V2.0.5) on my iPad for some time - both on the wireless LAN and also via 3G. Authentication is enabled for remote access on the Indigo server

Today, without warning, I have been getting "The request timed out ..." message, both on the LAN and 3G. There are no issues with Touch on my iPhone 4S, nor with Domopad on two Android devices - these all work fine.

Having searched this forum (and others), I have restarted the Indigo server, the router, the iPad to no avail. I have also deleted and reinstalled Touch on the iPad, but also to no avail. Touch identifies the Indigo server by name, but times out when the server is selected (both on LAN and 3G). A similar result is obtained having attempted to enter the server manually (IP address and port) into Touch.

I am unable to access control pages using Safari on the iPad (using the standard port 8176) - results in a "server stopped responding" message - but can do so from Firefox and Safari on the MacBook. I can also "connect to remote server" without issue using Indigo on the MacBook

It's notable that when reinstalling Touch (that I have done a number of times!), I am NOT requested to re-enter my authentication data (user and password). It leads me to believe that it might be an authentication issue peculiar to the iPad, but am unable to "flush" the iPad (yep, tried the simultaneous home and power button pushes!)

Now out of options. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to how I might proceed from here .......

Mclass

Posted on
Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:14 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: iPad Issue with Touch

If you cannot access it from Safari on your iPad but can from other devices, then the problem is not related to Indigo Touch.

I know you already power cycled most everything, but I would again reset all of your networking equipment (switches, router, DSL/cable modem, WiFi access points, etc.).

Let us know how it goes...

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:39 am
mclass offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: iPad Issue with Touch

"Curiouser and curiouser" .... With apologies to Lewis Carrol!
The Touch app refused to behave, not being able to be deleted from the iPad, nor reloaded - despite all sorts of attempts!

So I bit the bullet, and restored the iPad from factory defaults (yes, as an experienced road warrior, I back up with an evangelical zealousness!!)

All went well, and I could connect back to the Indigo server via the Reflector remotely, but NOT on the local wifi network. A simultaneous reboot of the server and the wireless router, and all seems back to "normal".

As a practioner of lightning protection and cathodic protection in a previous life, I thought I had a experienced all of engineering's black magic - but networking is a world apart!!!

Thanks for your prompt response. Fingers crossed that all's well from now on .........

Mclass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:51 pm
mclass offline

Re: [ANSWERED]: iPad Issue with Touch

Whoops, spoke too soon ....
Recurrence ofTouch on iPad not being able to access on the wireless LAN, but able to to access via reflector.

Traced the issue (I think) to a VPN I had established between two FritzBox routers - one at home and the other about 100k away at the beach house connected to a 3G dongle - that I had established in an attempt to bridge to a Vera at the beach house and the Indigo server at home (it's a whole new thread in itself!)

Long story short, having disabled the VPN at home, and rebooting everything, I can now use the iPad on the home wireless network. What had me tossed was that the iPhone and two wall-mounted Android tablets continued to operate over the local wifi network without an issue.

I'll investigate the whole VPN bridge to a remote Vera in a more disciplined manner - it appeared to work OK, and show some promise. But it inflicted some time-consuming collateral damage. If eventually successful I'll consider a new "how to" thread at a later time.

Mclass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1