WeatherFlow Tempest

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:25 pm
CraigM offline

WeatherFlow Tempest

Does anyone have any info on this device? It states that it works with Indigo, but hasn't shipped yet so do we have users in our community who are testing it ?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tempest-a-revolutionary-personal-weather-system?fbclid=IwAR1SeB96Z6Pt6rDJ-_hTndr6a4Tq190UdooajpxM_yRQEL_y_ikqGzZOmHs#/

Their website is very unclear on the difference between the " Systems" and how it integrates with Indigo. Is their a plugin, or will this one work?
https://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/217/

Is this a new upgraded model of the WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station?
https://weatherflow.com/smart-home-weather-stations/

The limited time discount price is about to expire, so it sure would be helpful to know all the details before buying

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:02 pm
norcoscia offline

Re: WeatherFlow Tempest

Hi, that is the new version, I don't know if anyone has one yet but I have the older (current version) and the plug-in you mentioned is one way to integrate it into indigo. I really like my system - I feel like it was a big step up from my netatmo (which can also integrate with indigo via a different plug-in).

I don't think there is much difference functionally between the new system and my current one but I have not used the new one yet. In your last paragraph link that is the old (current system). The new one (in your first link) has everything build into one unit (not counting the network interface hub). The old current system had / has two units plus the hub.

Really comes down to your willingness to take on some risk with the new units or if you are willing to take the older design which will require battery changes in the small (separate) temp/ humidity sensor.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:07 pm
Korey offline

I am supposed to be getting a Tempest as I signed up to be a beta tester, I will let you and everyone else know if Bruces current plugin will work with it once I have it set up.

--
Korey

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:15 pm
norcoscia offline

Wait - you did not send me a PM so I could sign up before it ended Nooooooo - I'm very sad now but happy you're getting a new system - enjoy it and also thanks so much for all the help you provided me to get mine integrated before the cool new indigo plug-in came out.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:57 pm
CraigM offline

Korey wrote:
I am supposed to be getting a Tempest as I signed up to be a beta tester, I will let you and everyone else know if Bruces current plugin will work with it once I have it set up.

I'm I correct that the Tempest is 'all in one', as opposed to several components on the current, but the end result is the same?
I'm I correct that the Tempest connects via WiFi? If so will it just show up on my WiFi network, or do you need to plug their hub into the network?

Are you getting the "complete" or the "remote" system.

If the website states that it works with Indigo, and they show the Indigo logo then someone on our end must be involved? Matt/Jay?

I would appreciate the feedback once you get yours, but they don't ship till March and the sale ends any day now. If you will be beta testing does that mean that the beta schedule will only be from Jan-Mar?

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:18 pm
Korey offline

norcoscia wrote:
Wait - you did not send me a PM so I could sign up before it ended Nooooooo - I'm very sad now but happy you're getting a new system - enjoy it and also thanks so much for all the help you provided me to get mine integrated before the cool new indigo plug-in came out.

Sorry! I didn't think to! :oops:

I haven't gotten it yet if that helps!

Happy new Year!

--
Korey

Posted on
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:28 pm
Korey offline

CraigM wrote:
I'm I correct that the Tempest is 'all in one', as opposed to several components on the current, but the end result is the same?
I'm I correct that the Tempest connects via WiFi? If so will it just show up on my WiFi network, or do you need to plug their hub into the network?

Are you getting the "complete" or the "remote" system.

If the website states that it works with Indigo, and they show the Indigo logo then someone on our end must be involved? Matt/Jay?

I would appreciate the feedback once you get yours, but they don't ship till March and the sale ends any day now. If you will be beta testing does that mean that the beta schedule will only be from Jan-Mar?

Tempest combines the separate SKY and Air units into one.

I believe that the Tempest is the same as the current SKY and AIR, that communicates to a HUB. The hub connects to your WiFi network.
I wish it had POE ethernet!

I have not gotten a beta kit yet but it should be the complete system.

Bruce has a plugin that integrates with Indigo.

--
Korey

Posted on
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:36 am
tazswe offline

As I understand it there will be no major changes in the API.
Bruce plugin will work but might need some minor changes.
I have the current version with Air Sky and it works like a dream for home automation purpose.

I know that there already some others at the forum that have ordered the Tempest and don’t think you should be afraid that it shouldn’t be able to be integrated.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:05 am
Monstergerm offline

Korey wrote:

Korey,
did you get your Tempest weather station and if yes, what is your experience with it so far?
Also, did you try out Bruce's plugin and how it works both with your weather station and public community stations from WeatherFlow?

Posted on
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:30 am
Korey offline

Monstergerm wrote:
Korey wrote:

Korey,
did you get your Tempest weather station and if yes, what is your experience with it so far?
Also, did you try out Bruce's plugin and how it works both with your weather station and public community stations from WeatherFlow?

I have been beta testing the Tempest along side my original WeatherFlow (Sky/Air)for many months, the Tempest is a good unit, all in one design that just works.

I am using Bruce's plugin, it has been running flawlessly.

I also have aMeteobridge that pulls data from the Tempest and publishes to many differ weather services.

I originally got the Meteobridge as a way to get the data into Indigo using Dave's Excellent Ghost XML plugin.

I'm happy with the weather flow systems, no moving parts and reliable.

the only problem I have ever had is with the original unit, False rain readings as I the unit was getting vibrations from a 10' pole I had it mounted on, I have since mounted them to 1" Iron pipe and have not had a false reading since.

Here is a picture showing all 3 units, the older AIR united has to be mounted in the shade 5' above ground.

There is a Ubiquti G3 Camera mounted to the Tempest pole that supplies this image thru the Meteobridge for use in various weather services. (In the distance you can see the Las Vegas Strip) :D
Attachments
IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_2551.JPG (173.28 KiB) Viewed 4422 times

--
Korey

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:23 pm
jltnol offline

So I've been having some issues lately with my Tempest. Yesterday, I got an email from Weatherflow saying my device was offline.

I can't access the Tempest Hub directly with a browser(don't think its possible), but I have power cycled it, and my router sees it at the right IP address and being online, so I'm guessing the hub is online and working.

For some reason(and I don't remember why) I set up both a Tempest Websocket and a Tempest UDP device.
Now in Indigo, the Websocket device is showing Last Update as now... but the Formatted Datetime is yesterday when the unit was reported offline.
The UDP device shows the last update as when it went offline and has the same formatted date time.

On the iOS Tempest app, under Settings, it shows the Status as Online, but all the readings are from yesterday when it went offline.

I've recently installed the Tempest external power supply, and the last reported voltage is 2.75V.

But the iOS app isn't updating, and neither are my 2 devices in Indigo. Obviously waiting is the thing to do, and/or contact Tempest, but am curious if anyone else has seen this and what might cause and/or cure it.

AND.... does the info that is populated in Indigo and the iOS device come directly from my Tempest, or is that data coming from their servers?

Posted on
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:34 am
tazswe offline

It seems that you have problem with the connection between the hub and the outdoor weatherdevice.

You can try to power cycle the weather device to see if it will connect to the hub.

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:58 am
jltnol offline

Yep.

Finally got it working again. It stopped reporting right after a big rain storm, so I've added some "conductive grease" to the physical connections in hope of avoiding this from happening again... Time will tell...

Posted on
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:50 am
sumocomputers offline

Data doesn't refresh for UDP or WebSocket

I got my new WeatherFlow Tempest setup using the plug-in version 2022.1.0.

I setup a device for both UDP and WebSocket, and decided to display as the device state, Date/Time last observed.

When the device is first added, it seems to update every minute, but only for a few minutes. Then the device stops updating (I waited hours, data was still stale on both, and date stamp never changed).

I found if I disable and enable device communication, it updates again.

So for now I have a schedule to disable/enable the devices every 30 seconds, and all is good.

I'm not sure if this is a known issue, or if there is some troubleshooting I can do to assist tracking it down.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted on
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:06 am
tazswe offline

Is it updating correctly In the Tempest app?

You might have a power charging problem that makes it go into power safe mode.

Contact the customer service that are excellent, they can connect to your device and help you or send a new one if it’s faulty.

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk