PSA - macOS server changes

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:16 am
nlagaros offline

Re: PSA - macOS server changes

I recently migrated some home services (email, contacts, calendar, DNS, DHCP, VPN) away from MacOS knowing this was coming. My Mac Mini is pretty much limited to Indigo and a web server that hosts the plugin. I can't see Apple releasing an updated Mac Mini (even though Tim Cook said it was important). Would one buy it simply as a controller for device management? I would think an Apple TV could do the same job (I don't have one) - perhaps it will in the future.

I have a NAS (circa 2010) for file sharing and Time Machine backups. I highly recommend over running on MacOS. Costs have come down significantly over the past couple of years.

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:14 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: PSA - macOS server changes

This shouldn't surprise anyone who's been paying attention to Apple's moves over the past several years. With each release and move it's clearer that they don't believe that Macs should be used in any kind of server-like configuration. Firing Sal, hiding the web server, letting AppleScript languish, falling behind on other scripting technologies, making it harder and harder to keep Macs awake, poor testing around drivers, and now this.

It seems pretty clear that they just don't care about Macs as always-on computers. I, too, will be very surprised to see a new Mac mini. It was always primarily (from Apple's perspective) a way to get switchers. But that's not a major (and maybe even minor) goal any more - the world has moved on and it's all about mobile computing, an area where Microsoft/Windows just isn't the 800lb gorilla.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1