Smart WiFI Battery - too far?

Posted on
Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:00 am
roussell offline

Smart WiFI Battery - too far?

Noticed this in Electronic House magazine this morning. While the geek in me thinks it's cool, do we really need a $40 9V battery that connects to the cloud???

http://www.smartroost.net/index.html#home

Posted on
Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:07 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Smart WiFI Battery - too far?

I surely don't.

But I wouldn't mind a 5-year battery for my alarms!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:51 am
roussell offline

Yeah I'm not sure how they get 5 years, even from a lithium considering some of the physical space is taken (and electrical current used) by the electronics. Then again, I've never had a CFL last the 7 years they tout either so...

Terry

Posted on
Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:37 am
RogueProeliator offline

Yeah I'm not sure how they get 5 years, even from a lithium considering some of the physical space is taken (and electrical current used) by the electronics. Then again, I've never had a CFL last the 7 years they tout either so...

Agreed, nor did two of my 10-year or 15-year LED bulbs last... Not so sure what theoretical formula these home automation and electronics estimations are using, but clearly they are often optimistic.

Having said that, it is an interesting idea for a retrofit. I would prefer a more reliable solution such as triggering off the alarm panel's smoke alarms or a smoke alarm better integrated / hard wired. Perhaps that battery, though, could work on a hardwired smoke alarm and still draw power/notify even if low. I do feel wasteful replacing the batteries in my hard-wired smoke alarms every year without knowing if they are actually bad... and we have a LOT of smoke alarms in the house as electrician went a tad overboard. At least we are safe I guess...

Adam

Page 1 of 1