Pools

Posted on
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:50 am
jltnol offline

Pools

So I'm trying to get my pool equipment under Indigo control. There are several devices to control, but obviously the main one is the 2-speed main pump. I've looked at off the shelf Pool Control Systems and ways to have Indigo control them, but I'm beginning to consider other options. While the pool systems are good, in the end, I'm never going to use them in the way they were designed, as I would by-pass any scheduling abilities and just have Indigo do this for me.

So the pump is a 220V pump, and has 2 speeds.

I've looked at the 8 Channel Network Relay Board, https://www.ebay.com/itm/262874035942 and thought that might be an option. Is it possible for this board to control the 220V pump? or to control something else that controls the pump? From what I can tell, it should do 240V, but only 10Amps, and I guess past the first question of if this is even possible or not, is to find out what my pump amp rating is.

My understanding of relays is that they are either open or closed... allowing power to pass... or not pass.... So I'm thinking that if I supply 220V to this card, it will supply the same voltage to the pump, and I can have Indigo turn the relay off and on.

Am I even close ? lol

Posted on
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:36 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Pools

I am using 2 of these for my pool, one for the pump, one for the heater.

They work well w indigo no issues BUT they do NOT have a Manual switch that is accessible when cover is screwed on.

I drilled a little hole into the cover over the internal toggle switch - put a pin (1 cm long) in and glued a piece of plastic on it. It now has a manual on/off toggle switch.

Has been working for 6+ months in Texas summer. No issues.

The 220V insteon switches I used before died after 2-3 years.

Karl

Posted on
Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:49 pm
jltnol offline

Great

I just don't want to spend a ton of money on dedicated pool controls when I'm going to get Indigo to run them anyway. No local control might be a problem occasionally, but I'm willing to work thru those issues...

Thanks for your help.

Now if only I could understand how to get the pump running on both speeds... :) I think at a time I guess..

Posted on
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:48 pm
kw123 offline

You need to measure the voltages and look into the switch to understand how the motor runs. There are at 2 different ways doing it

On the web there are several examples for pool pump motor switches.

Be careful. !!! There is 240v across the 2 live wires!!! But only 120v to ground -in the US.
IN EUROPE YOU HAVE 240 to ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:02 pm
jltnol offline

While I have a basic understanding of how this is supposed to work, I'll be hiring an electrician to do the work.. :)

Page 1 of 1