Indigo Widget (for OS X Dashboard)

Posted on
Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:27 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo Widget (for OS X Dashboard)

I just published Indigo Widget 1.3.2 on the User Contribution Library.

This release fixes the broken slider (stuck at 50%) problem caused by the Safari 5 upgrade.

Note the Indigo Widget will no longer be included in the main Indigo download. Any further updates for it should be submitted to the User Contribution Library.

Posted on
Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:50 am
WagnerOne offline

Re: Indigo Widget (for OS X Dashboard)

Thank you for the update!

I've seen a cosmetic issue with the Indigo widget for a long time and it persists in this release.

I'm guessing it's something on my system (font related?) as I've not heard mention of it. The title text wraps down into the first device area. I stretched the window out, but that didn't affect it.

Is this something you can think of a simple fix for? If not, it's no huge deal. More for your information than anything.

See attached pic.

Mike
Attachments
indigo_widget.jpg
indigo_widget.jpg (21.04 KiB) Viewed 17799 times

Posted on
Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:19 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It looks like it's using a different font on your system, so my guess is that you've replaced/removed the font it was designed to use (Lucinda grande 9pt). You can always open it up in Dashcode and give it a tweak - we've "open sourced" the widget by putting it into the file library (we're not shipping it with Indigo any more).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:05 am
WagnerOne offline

Strange. I have Lucida Grande installed. Thanks for the reply though.

I'll poke around in the widget css maybe... or just deal. I think I'll just deal. :)

Mike

Posted on
Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:55 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I wonder if something else you installed added another copy - if you check in Font Book, it will identify duplicates and allow you to resolve the conflict. I actually had 15 dups on my system when I checked (not Lucinda Grande though).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:02 pm
discgolfer1138 offline

Two quick questions, is the Indigo dashboard widget compatible with Indigo 5.0.0b7? I am running version 1.3.2 of the widget and am seeing the following errors in my Console log:

Code: Select all
7/28/11 10:59:37.313 PM DashboardClient: com.highearthorbit.widget.indigo: getActionsHandler: 2011-07-28 22:59:37.256 osascript[2701:f07] Error loading /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types:  dlopen(/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:
   /Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Unit Types: mach-o, but wrong architecture
osascript: OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax" declares no loadable handlers.
107:113: syntax error: Expected end of line but found identifier. (-2741)
( 0 )

This particular log entry comes from a machine with Lion installed, but I have tried on another machine with a fresh copy of Snow Leopard and received the same error.

I may poke around in the bundle to see if I can narrow it down a bit. I'll be happy to share any insights :)

Indigo 6.1.0 | Mac Mini | OS 10.10.3 (Yosemite)
Fork Me on GitHub!

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:34 am
discgolfer1138 offline

well.. I was able to at least eliminate the 'Adobe Unit Types' errors by installing a new copy of their scripting additions from here:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/516/cpsid_51615.html

I've opened up the wdgt file in XCode and am trying to isolate the exact error. My hunch at this point is that the dynamic applescript that's being generated in the widget js code contains syntax that has been deprecated since the widget was written.

I'll keep playing with it :)

Fork Me on GitHub!

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:39 am
discgolfer1138 offline

took a little bit of digging, but the answer was kinda obvious... I hadn't enabled remote apple events on the server. Unfortunately, the widget ui doesn't warn you. It just shows 'error' in the bottom left corner. all is well now. However, I was a little disappointed that the UI only seems to be useful for controlling lights/etc. I have a sprinkler and thermostat controller and can't do much with those via the widget. Perhaps a little hackery is in order :) If I can come with anything of use that works, I'll be happy to share it with the community :)

Fork Me on GitHub!

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:41 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The widget, although it should still be basically functional, hasn't really been updated in quite a while. I believe most people (myself included) that want access into Indigo Server for controlling devices now use the browser based interface. I just leave window open in my browser with a few tabs of Control Pages I commonly use. The Widget was originally developed back for Indigo v1, which didn't have a Web server built into it (or Control Pages).

Please do share any improvements you make to it. There are AppleScript verbs for controlling thermostats and sprinklers, so it should be possible to improve it.

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 pm
discgolfer1138 offline

Yeah, I love the built-in webserver! Being a web developer by trade, I've already written a wrapper for all the REST commands in CakePHP using CURL. I know a little python, but opted for a wrapper so that I can be more flexible if the built-in webserver changes in future versions. Now I can add AJAX links on my personal site that allow me to control any device in the house :) So far all i've done is add a link to my webcam page that lets me turn the lights on so I can see my dogs while I'm at work.

My next big project is to wire up a dog treat dispenser to an I/O Linc and then program a web interface so I can drop treats for the dogs from my website :)

Fork Me on GitHub!

Posted on
Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:40 pm
discgolfer1138 offline

Oh, and back to the Dashboard Widget though... I hadn't messed with the widget architecture before, but it's pretty straightforward. What I'm hoping to do is actually write my own widget that can be replicated and set to control a particular device.

So it'd work something like this:
-install the widget
-drop an instance on your dashboard
-flip it over to access settings
-set your server params (host, user, pass, isRemote)
-select your device
-UI will adjust to match selected device type (LampLincs and Dimmers would be giant lightbulbs, EZFlora would be a sprinkler, Thermostat would look like wall unit, etc). This would have to be customizable to account for multipurpose devices like ToggleLincs, OutletLincs and I/O Lincs...
-you'd then be able to drop and configure additional instances for devices you want quick control to

Why you ask? Well, I spend most of my evenings on the couch with a laptop working on side projects and general nerdery. There's a few nearby lights that I'd like to be able to control easily and I also like to keep an eye on the sprinklers to make sure it's cycling properly. So ideally, i'd just hit the hotkey on my laptop to switch to dashboard and .. bam there's all my favorite devices a click away. No need to find my phone, unlock it, open the app.. etc.

This is mostly an excuse for me to delve into widget programming. But in my case, laziness is often the mother of invention :)

Fork Me on GitHub!

Posted on
Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:23 pm
MartyS offline

discgolfer1138 wrote:
took a little bit of digging, but the answer was kinda obvious... I hadn't enabled remote apple events on the server. Unfortunately, the widget ui doesn't warn you. It just shows 'error' in the bottom left corner.

Since I hit upon this uncertainty every once in a while I thought I'd mention it here in this thread for others to find.

Not only do you have to enable Remote Apple Events in the  > System Preferences > Sharing pane (on the system running the Indigo server), but because this widget uses the eppc:// protocol the username and password you need to provide to the widget is that of a valid OS X account on that system, not the one used for the Indigo Touch mobile app.

Note also that if you have a firewall set up on the Indigo server system (or anywhere between your Mac using the widget and the Indigo server) you'll need to allow connections to TCP port 3031 to flow through. This port is not used by Indigo Touch so you might never have had to allow it before.

/Marty

Posted on
Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:16 pm
discgolfer1138 offline

for what it's worth, I've abandoned the dashboard widget in favor of an Alfred workflow:
https://github.com/mlamoure/Alfred-Indigo-Workflow

Fork Me on GitHub!

Page 1 of 1