Google Glass GDK Application for Indigo

Posted on
Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:09 pm
dmeeker@mac.com offline

Google Glass GDK Application for Indigo

After a few months of prototyping and testing with the Google Mirror API, we changed direction and created a GDK (Native app) for Google Glass that interfaces with the Indigo RESTful API.

I don't know if anyone else has Google Glass, but if you want to test this for us, let me know.

Here is how it works:

1) Sideload APK onto your device
2) Start it by saying: Ok Glass, run connected home
3) A screen appears, and you tap it once to issue a voice command.
4) We followed the same patterns that were used in the Siri Proxy proof of concept:
a) Turn on <Device Name>
b) Turn off <Device Name>
c) Toggle <Device Name>
d) Set Brightness of <Device Name> to ## percent
d) Execute <Action Group Name>

The speed at which this works is almost instant. In our previous code, where we were using the Mirror API, it took up to 10 seconds. Now it is 1 second or less.

One issue we have is with capitalization. Because we are using the Google speech API to turn the voice command into text, we deal with the issue of it returning lower case device names. Because the Restful API is case sensitive, Kitchen Lights is different than kitchen lights. I had to go and change all of my devices and actions to lower case to make it work.

We will try to address this in a future build.

We have some additional clean-up to do, including moving the server IP, user name and password out of the application config to an external file or by making a config screen on glass itself that would let you set your server host name, userID and Password.

Still a work in progress, but it demonstrates next-generation control over your Indigo connected home and works great.

I realize that some of you think this is pointless (per the comments on a previous thread), but the implications of this are pretty big, especially for use cases like a security guard, disabled person, etc.

constructive comments appreciated.

dave

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:37 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Google Glass GDK Application for Indigo

Hi Dave,

I'm glad to hear about the progress, and I'm definitely interested in wearable tech (there is no denying that it is coming down the pipe).

To workaround the device name case issue, how about on initial connection pulling down the /devices.xml file and storing all of the actual case sensitive device names in a dict/map where the key is the lowercase version of the name? You can then quickly look-up the actual device name using the all lower case version of the name as the dict key.

Thanks for the update and keep us posted on your progress!

Posted on
Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:51 am
dmeeker@mac.com offline

Thanks Matt.
We are going to move in that direction. Aside from voice control, I want to implement some way to navigate devices by room. The Glass UX patterns are a bit wonky, so we need to design something that really works well.

If I load just /devices.xml, I get the list of device, but what I'd ideally want is the list of devices as well as folders/rooms that are set up in Indigo. This way I could first show a list of rooms, then dive into devices in each room. (basically mirroring the Indigo touch UI flow). Is there an API call that provides the folders/groupings?

let me know.

dave

Posted on
Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:35 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

I don't have glass but will likely be getting it when they release publicly, glad to know you are working on this!

Posted on
Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:16 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Currently, there is no RESTful API for folders but that is something we will very likely add on the next revamp of the Web server.

Posted on
Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:15 am
dmeeker@mac.com offline

Is there any hack or something you could suggest?
Perhaps we could load the same XML that is used to populate the iOS app?

I assume that is accessible?

dave

Posted on
Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:02 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

Email sent with some additional details.

Page 1 of 1