Is there a way to import Apple Home Devices into Indigo?

Posted on
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:29 am
eme jota ce offline

Is there a way to import Apple Home Devices into Indigo?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. Searches didn't provide one, that I was able to find, but searches for "home" aren't very specific....

The Plugin Homekit Link Siri (https://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/270/) was great to export the Indigo devices to Apple's Home app, but is there a way to bring (non-insteon, non-z-wave....) devices from Apple Home into Indigo so that can use Indigo's more advanced Triggers, Actions, to control them?

As background... lost all indigo devices and indigo server in hurricane ian's surge. Slowly adding some nanoleaf, Evo, and other devices to new home along with other devices through homebridge, but the Apple Home app is no where near as useful / powerful as Indigo, to me.

Thanks in advance for any replies,
MJC

Posted on
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:14 pm
FlyingDiver online

Re: Is there a way to import Apple Home Devices into Indigo?

Not really. The best you can do is use an Automation on the Home side to trigger something in Indigo using a webhook. Someone posted an example, but I can't find it right now.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:18 pm
eme jota ce offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Not really. The best you can do is use an Automation on the Home side to trigger something in Indigo using a webhook. Someone posted an example, but I can't find it right now.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what my search of the forums seemed to say, too, but had hoped to have missed something.

Posted on
Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:14 pm
GlennNZ offline

Hi

I believe there is an in-between solution - which would work for the occasional device only. Thanks to user who pointed out this approach.

Apple Native HK Device

Use/Install/Setup the HomekitLink indigo plugin.
Publish a Virtual Device as a switch for example, to the same Home as the native HK device.

In the Homekit App:
Setup a Homekit App Automation:
If Apple Native HK Device - becomes on, turn on Homekitlink Plugin Virtual Device. And turn off.
(The state of this device will change in Homekit and also will change the state of publish virtual device in indigo)

Hence for the odd, device can mirror and setup automations. Obviously not the greatest solution for a number of devices - but is a ‘way in’

The issue is the Native HK devices are below a few layers of security and even seperate homes cannot see each other.
Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:51 am
eme jota ce offline

GlennNZ wrote:
Hi

I believe there is an in-between solution - which would work for the occasional device only. Thanks to user who pointed out this approach.

Apple Native HK Device

Use/Install/Setup the HomekitLink indigo plugin.
Publish a Virtual Device as a switch for example, to the same Home as the native HK device.

In the Homekit App:
Setup a Homekit App Automation:
If Apple Native HK Device - becomes on, turn on Homekitlink Plugin Virtual Device. And turn off.
(The state of this device will change in Homekit and also will change the state of publish virtual device in indigo)

Hence for the odd, device can mirror and setup automations. Obviously not the greatest solution for a number of devices - but is a ‘way in’

The issue is the Native HK devices are below a few layers of security and even seperate homes cannot see each other.
Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a cool workaround, and the type of reason I hope to work my way back into Indigo while rebuilding.

Apple's App is stiflingly basic and insufficient even for the 15 devices (mostly lights and locks) I've purchased so far, IMO. and in comparison to Indigo. Setup of new devices is pretty easy, and responsiveness is very fast compared to some of the Indigo and Z-Wave devices we had, but recreating actions and triggers that were so easy (and useful) in Indigo is cumbersome or not possible.

Posted on
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:18 am
durosity offline

HomeKit (and Alexa/Google Home) are really just glorified remote control systems... there's not really much actual 'automation' going on, and there's far too many trade offs to really be useful for any power user. I heavily use HomeKitLink for publishing my many devices in my home from Indigo to Apple Home, but almost all automations are done locally in Indigo as it's a far far far FAR more powerful and reliable bit of software for it. The only automations I have going through Home are location aware ones, but even they just trigger an action or device in Indigo which then gets Indigo to do X.

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1