Home Theater Control Pages

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:43 am
wlpredrock offline

Attached are the dedicated home theater control pages I created with OmniGraffle for an iPadMini, resolution 1024 x 704. Each item is a button that I have attached an action to using either the DIrecTV plugin or the Cynical Network plugin with the applicable IP protocol codes. The AppleTV and xBox pages are used to control the projector and the sound only as I haven't been able to mimic the AppleTV 4 remote or the xBox game controller.
Attachments
1-TheaterMaster.jpg
1-TheaterMaster.jpg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
2-DirecTVController.jpg
2-DirecTVController.jpg (48.64 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
4-DirecTVFavorites.jpg
4-DirecTVFavorites.jpg (61.86 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
5-AppleTVController.jpg
5-AppleTVController.jpg (30.73 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
6-BlurayController.jpg
6-BlurayController.jpg (46.76 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
7-BlurayKeypad.jpg
7-BlurayKeypad.jpg (28.48 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
8-xBoxController.jpg
8-xBoxController.jpg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
9-DenonAVRRemote.jpg
9-DenonAVRRemote.jpg (47.78 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
10-OppoBDPRemote.jpg
10-OppoBDPRemote.jpg (49.72 KiB) Viewed 4699 times
11-ProjectorRemote.jpg
11-ProjectorRemote.jpg (38.25 KiB) Viewed 4699 times

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:26 am
mat offline

Re: Home Theater Control Pages

My apple TV is controlled from a harmony hub.

I also have a single "control pad" that works for any of the amp inputs. Based on a variable set by which input the amp currently has selected, a right button push on the generic control pad will send a "right" command for that bit of kit - works by using If statements in a python action group and then actioning the relevant action.

The Denon plugin reads the input and changes the variable, and an input select from a control page also updates the variable. Input currently selected is the coloured icon.

Made the ipad controller a-lot more family friendly, and avoids the need to switch control pages when amp inputs are changed.

Nice pages by the way, looks great!

I've not had chance to design mine yet, so just a series of buttons at present, but works.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 14.24.51.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 14.24.51.png (73.95 KiB) Viewed 4677 times
Last edited by mat on Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:42 am
mundmc offline

These are all great- thank you for sharing. Only now I have Oppo envy!

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:49 am
Dual offline

Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:17 am
wlpredrock offline

Mat, my first design was similar to yours. I wanted everything on one screen. I liked it, but my son, who is a CGI for Epic Games (Fortnite) told me that less is better (especially for my wife!).

I will look into the Harmony Hub approach for the Apple TV. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:49 am
mat offline

Excellent job - for your son i mean!

Yes, I agree that less is better. When I get time I know I can reduce the number of buttons on my page by about 6. The labels are currently set as fixed variables, but the idea will be to change the labels based on the amp input, and thus the function of the buttons.

I know i can reduce a few more with a settings buttons.

When I get a chance.....

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:18 pm
DaveL17 offline

mundmc wrote:
Only now I have Oppo envy!

R.I.P. Oppo disc players.

I have a BDP-83, and I love it. Oppo did such a nice job with upscaling and other things that some other company (can't recall which at the moment) took the guts of an Oppo player and rebranded it -- and added something like an additional $3,000 to the price tag.

Found it: https://www.geek.com/gadgets/lexicon-takes-500-oppo-blu-ray-player-sells-it-for-3500-1058262/

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:28 am
mundmc offline

^ Yeah, the markup on used Oppo 203’s is insane. People now are heading to the Sony UBX-700 and the Panasonic UB820 if they refuse to shell the extra money for used equipment.

Posted on
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:29 am
wlpredrock offline

Here's how I control AppleTV: I m using a Global Cache IP2IR iTach (PoE) device to send IR signals through an IR emitter to my AppleTV Gen 4 device. I use the Cynical Cache plugin. The IR sensor appears to be located about a half inch to the left of the power on light on the AppleTV box. Global Cache has the AppleTV Gen 4 code in its Control Tower IR Database which you can download for free. It works perfectly. The only functionality I am missing is the voice function which is a Bluetooth function. When I need to....actually want to because I never really need to....use voice, I just use the Apple controller. I will switch to IP control if or when I can find the IP control codes from Apple!

Posted on
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:08 pm
DaveL17 offline

Another post on the Oppo front. Our BDP-83 Bluray player all of the sudden wouldn't recognize discs (it would do some of the time). So I pulled it apart, blew out the little dust that was in there and wiped off the laser lenses. Luckily we're back in business. I still need to replace the internal CR2032 battery, which hasn't been changed out since new (2009?). The only issue I have now is that the tray is no longer aligned properly--which I'm sure is my fault-- I'll fix when I go back in to replace the battery.

I freaking love this player and will try to keep it alive as long as possible.

Posted on
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:51 pm
mundmc offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Another post on the Oppo front. Our BDP-83 Bluray player all of the sudden wouldn't recognize discs (it would do some of the time). So I pulled it apart, blew out the little dust that was in there and wiped off the laser lenses. Luckily we're back in business. I still need to replace the internal CR2032 battery, which hasn't been changed out since new (2009?). The only issue I have now is that the tray is no longer aligned properly--which I'm sure is my fault-- I'll fix when I go back in to replace the battery.

I freaking love this player and will try to keep it alive as long as possible.
Gotta give oppo’s TLC, rip!

Edit: You on avsforums too? I saw FlyingDiver over there

Posted on
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:58 am
DaveL17 offline

mundmc wrote:
You on avsforums too? I saw FlyingDiver over there

i have an account, but tend to only visit when I need to research ideas/problems. It's a great resource for sure.

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2020 1:22 pm
wlpredrock offline

I sure enjoy my OPPO also. Good tips! Thanks,

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2020 2:26 pm
DaveL17 offline

As it turns out, my Oppo wasn't repairable after all because teeth were missing from the gears for the tray mechanism. I couldn't find a new OEM replacement drive and the second-hand market is way too expensive. So I wound up buying a new Sony unit.

RIP Oppo.

Posted on
Sun May 17, 2020 9:00 pm
mundmc offline

DaveL17 wrote:
As it turns out, my Oppo wasn't repairable after all because teeth were missing from the gears for the tray mechanism. I couldn't find a new OEM replacement drive and the second-hand market is way too expensive. So I wound up buying a new Sony unit.

RIP Oppo.
UBP-700 or 800? I have the 700 and am on the fence about going for the Panasonic 480.

Here’s some home theater pR0n; just finished my riser step lights:

https://youtu.be/x_DKD7d_4Ig