Recommended: New Cree LED Light Bulb

Posted on
Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:39 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Recommended: New Cree LED Light Bulb

While at Home Depot the other day I picked up a couple of the new Cree LED bulbs. They have a few different models, including a 9.5 watt version for $13 (replaces 60 watt), and a 6 watt version for $10 (replaces 40 watt). There are cool and warm color temperatures. If you want the softer incandescent look, then get the warm.

I've bought more and so far they are working well with INSTEON, Z-Wave, and X10 modules. They are dimmable via the triacs found in automation modules. The brightness ramp curve isn't exactly the same as an incandescent but is still very usable.

Important: In-wall dimmer modules that do not use the neutral wire will not work well with them, since to work they must let a tiny amount of current trickle through the load (LED bulb in this case). I tried a couple of Z-Wave modules that do not use neutral connections, and neither one worked.

The Pros:
  • Light appearance very closely matches incandescent (not identical, but close enough for me)
  • $$ is very good given efficiency and estimated life
  • LED, so very efficient of course
  • Small size so will work as a replacement in most fixtures.
  • Glass enclosure stays cool enough to touch (and has a nice soft (silicone?) coating)
  • Dims well the triacs in INSTEON, Z-Wave, and X10 modules
  • 10 year warranty and estimated life of almost 23 years (@ 3 hours/day)!

The Cons:
  • Slight buzzing (a bit worse when dimmed, only audible to me within 12 to 24 inches of bulb)
  • Although small in size, it still is a bit taller than an incandescent. I have a lamp that it won't fit in, and the tops of the bulbs peak out a bit of some chandelier fixtures we have. I'm still weighing the reduced SAF on that one.
  • In-wall dimmer modules only work if they use the neutral wire to power the module.

Anyhow, I highly recommend trying a couple out. I think we are finally crossing the line where this bulb is close enough in performance/appearance to incandescent and has a cheap enough price that they are really going to take off. And I was thrilled to the bulb works well with our automation modules.

Posted on
Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:39 pm
anode offline

Re: Recommended: New Cree LED Light Bulb

God news.

Been hunting for the mini based (cabalerra ?) lights but in the 60W equiv.

Dimmable is a plus

Will poke around the Home Cheapo when I feel like getting frustrated (hate that store)

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:50 pm
SSteve offline

I got some of the 60W-equivalent bulbs and I like them a lot. I replaced CFLs in a ceiling fan so now I can dim the lights in the fan (it's connected through a FanLinc). Now I'm going to replace all the incandescent bulbs I can with these.

One difference I noticed is that when incandescents dim they turn yellow whereas the LED bulbs stay white. Whether that's a pro or con is up to the user. For me it's just fine.

anode wrote:
Will poke around the Home Cheapo when I feel like getting frustrated (hate that store)

I'm with you. That's why I bought mine online. The only time I've gone to that place and not walked out swearing I'd never step foot in there again was during the Super Bowl this last January. There was pretty much one-to-one parity between the number of employees and shoppers. And I'm sure it's the only time you'll see Priuses outnumber pickups in the parking lot.

Posted on
Thu May 09, 2013 4:20 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Note these bulbs will NOT work well with in-wall dimmer modules that do not use the neutral wire to power the module. So 2 wire type INSTEON modules (RF only modules) and both the Z-Wave in-dimmer modules I tried didn't work.

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2013 5:08 pm
bbruck offline

Matt -

Do you know what the warranty on them is?

(I have about 25 of various brands of $10 6-watt LEDs, and have had 3 of them fail within one to two years. The best thing about these, potentially, is that if I buy them at home depot and keep the receipts, I'll be able to replace them under warranty w/o having the hassle of internet-based exchanges... - depending on the warranty...)

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2013 5:12 pm
SSteve offline

matt (support) wrote:
The Pros:
  • 10 year warranty and estimated life of almost 23 years (@ 3 hours/day)!

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2013 5:14 pm
bbruck offline

Sigh. Eyesight's the second thing to go...

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2013 6:02 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

What was the question?

:P

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue May 21, 2013 6:21 pm
SSteve offline

I forget. And I can't read it because I don't have my glasses.

Posted on
Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:27 am
gadgetnut offline

I too have had great luck with this lamp. Head's up: it just went on sale at Home Depot for $5.97!

Posted on
Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:22 pm
bbruck offline

Where did you see that sale price? Online and at my local VA homedepot it's still $9.97

Posted on
Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:25 pm
gadgetnut offline

I'm in Washington State. When I click on the above link, it takes me to the page where the lamp is offered at $5.97.

Posted on
Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:29 pm
bbruck offline

Sheesh. I could use about 25 of them at that price. I changed my home store to seattle and still don't see it sigh. Was that an in store price or an online price? Which store specifically is your home store? (hope you don't mind all the questions...)

Posted on
Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:32 pm
bbruck offline

I foundit - it's in the local ads for Seattle - actually I think i saw them for $4.95. Unfortunately our local ads in VA show show them at $9.97.

Posted on
Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:33 pm
gadgetnut offline

I bought a ton of them at $12.97 a week ago in Bellingham, WA. They went on sale the following day for $5.97. I returned them all and bought them again at $5.97 in Burlington, WA.