Raspberry Pi Blade Rack

Posted on
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:39 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Raspberry Pi Blade Rack

Just wanted to share a project that I just finished up -- print a Raspberry Pi blade-style rack mount for a friend here on the forums... It was a fun project to create and experiment with and I think would be pretty functional if anyone is actually interested in creating one themselves. @DaveL can let us know how it works in practice when he gets to try it out.

The models can be found here. They provide the STL and Sketchup files, though I haven't opened the model files yet - just printed the STL as-is. The only issue I found is that the sleds are a tiny bit too loose for my liking, so you can see in the final picture where I added a small bead of filament w/ a 3d filament pen to make it a tad tighter.

I printed this in ABS though PETG would be another good choice; I avoided PLA due to the potential for elevated temperatures once installed in the rack. Sleds took ~1 hour each, the receivers ~4 hours. I don't remember on the end mounts but they were quick, probably around the sled time. Clean up was pretty minimal - I printed w/o supports so there was a little bit of cleanup on the overhangs to ensure a tight fit upon assembly, but this really was minimal. I am working on adding a multi-material upgrade to the printer and might have used supports with a water soluble layer between the support and model if I had it in place during printing. But the only "rough" spots from the overhang, really, are at the back of the receiver where the sled covers it anyway. Just OCD flaring up...

Final assembly and some in-progress shots below...

Final Product.jpg
Final blade center, assembled
Final Product.jpg (324.3 KiB) Viewed 1603 times

Cutting Threaded Rod.jpg
Threaded rod trimming
Cutting Threaded Rod.jpg (339.44 KiB) Viewed 1603 times

Alignment In Progress.jpg
Putting receivers together
Alignment In Progress.jpg (338.83 KiB) Viewed 1603 times

Single Rod Complete 2.jpg
First rod trimmed and assembled
Single Rod Complete 2.jpg (284.59 KiB) Viewed 1603 times

Sled with Adjustment.jpg
Pi mount/sled
Sled with Adjustment.jpg (369.62 KiB) Viewed 1603 times

Posted on
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:06 am
berkinet offline

Re: Raspberry Pi Blade Rack

Impressive project, and cool too. But, even more impressive is how neat and clean your shop space is. Bravo.

Posted on
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:41 am
DaveL17 offline

So is that a cool guy, or what? I even got to see some time-lapse of it being printed. @RogueProeliator is the man.

Here's a random example of one that I grabbed off Google.

Dx9mCBMWoAAnM2a.jpg
Dx9mCBMWoAAnM2a.jpg (145.85 KiB) Viewed 1563 times

Can't wait to try it out.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 am
RogueProeliator offline

Impressive project, and cool too. But, even more impressive is how neat and clean your shop space is. Bravo.

LOL, thanks, though honestly that is in what I would consider a "messy" state. Almost cleaned it up for the pictures a couple of times. I like my shop organized for sure; my wife thinks I am obsessed, but she sure likes it when she asks where something is and I can say "3rd drawer down on the right side, front section." :-)

Posted on
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:45 pm
kw123 offline

Raspberry Pi Blade Rack

As the over all entropy is constant (or not decreasing) summed over all parts Imagethis should result in a very organized product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1