Leviton launches smart Load Center with iOS app

Posted on
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:27 am
ELWOOD offline

Leviton launches smart Load Center with iOS app

This looks like it could have some great potential .

https://9to5mac.com/2019/02/19/leviton-ios-smart-load-center/

Also looks very expensive since you need there breaker box and breakers.

Would be nice if they had single breakers that would fit older existing breaker panels.
Have to keep watching this one.

Elwood

Posted on
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:53 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Leviton launches smart Load Center with iOS app

This is interesting, but I don't know exactly what it would be good for when thrown at a whole home electrical service.

My home's electrical service is distributed in such a way that part of my kitchen and part of my living room are on one breaker. The other part of my living room is combined with the foyer and the front entry. So what does measuring those breakers give me in terms of insight? Even if my kitchen was on an isolated circuit, it still would be measuring the fridge and the stove and the other lights and appliances. Do I need to know the aggregate usage of my kitchen? I do see a value for things like HVAC which are on dedicated circuits. I also see a value in measuring the consumption of the whole home. So I would need maybe a half-dozen of these breakers--tops--but not a panel full.

I don't know anything about the app or the service, but if it also requires the cloud and a service to be useful, I'd give it a hard pass. I'm nowhere near a place where I'm willing to put critical things like switch control--of my entire electrical service--on the Internet ( not sure that's required, just saying....)

I currently get the usage data I want with Z-Wave energy meters and I think that's good enough for me. Thanks for sharing!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1