Sensative Shows Sensor With New 700 Chipset

Posted on
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 pm
DaveL17 offline

Sensative Shows Sensor With New 700 Chipset

CE PRO: At CES 2019, Sensative shows flat “Strips” sensor with new 700 Series chipset, boasting 10-year battery life; Silicon Labs shows Z-Wave on Wireless Gecko.

The Very First Z-Wave 700 Series Home-Automation Product

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:30 am
norcoscia offline

Re: Sensative Shows Sensor With New 700 Chipset

Cool, as long as the new chipset does not somehow dork up backward interoperability with Indigo - anyone seen the full spec sheet for it?

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:33 pm
CliveS offline

DaveL17 wrote:
CE PRO: At CES 2019, Sensative shows flat “Strips” sensor with new 700 Series chipset, boasting 10-year battery life

Well they said the original strips would be 10 years and I had 5 of them that failed within 2 years, they replaced all 5 (of which 4 are still unused as I don't trust them) and they asked me to send back the failed ones for testing, which I did ..... and 3 months later the parcel I sent arrived back with me as they refused to sign for it!

I also bought their temp/lux strips and that is as useful as a chocolate teapot, it reports temp or lux when it feels like so the temp can go down considerably before it decides to report it, the lux can go from full sunlight to almost dark before it responds, both I would say to save battery to get to the 10 years which is more important to them than actually keeping you informed.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:49 pm
DaveL17 offline

I have only one door sensor (first gen) and, aside from being tricky to include, has been working well. The only questionable thing is that it's reporting 75% battery after 2 years. So I'll get maybe 8 years. Tops.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:34 am
CliveS offline

norcoscia wrote:
Cool, as long as the new chipset does not somehow dork up backward interoperability with Indigo - anyone seen the full spec sheet for it?

Features:
Long Range, +100 M
Low Power
10-year Battery Lifetime
Coin Cell Operation
Easy Development
Certified Reference Code
Energy Profiling Tools
Best-in-Class S2 Security
SmartStart Easy Installation
Guaranteed Interoperable
Backwards Compatible

All the details at https://www.silabs.com/products/wireless/mesh-networking/z-wave/700-platform

I like the sound of SmartStart Easy Installation
SmartStart radically simplifies the installation of smart devices by using QR code scans for uniform, trouble-free setup. Devices and systems can be pre-configured dramatically easing deployments

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:54 am
autolog offline

CliveS wrote:
... and they asked me to send back the failed ones for testing, which I did ..... and 3 months later the parcel I sent arrived back with me as they refused to sign for it!

Funnily enough (or maybe not) I had exactly the same experience, in my case they said they were too busy to be able to go and pick it up from their post office!

I would never buy one of these again. I had quite a few of them (door/window sensor), the battery life was useless. Also I found them incredibly difficult to include into the network, let alone trying to sync them. :)

Posted on
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:11 am
CliveS offline

autolog wrote:
CliveS wrote:
... and they asked me to send back the failed ones for testing, which I did ..... and 3 months later the parcel I sent arrived back with me as they refused to sign for it!

I would never buy one of these again. I had quite a few of them (door/window sensor), the battery life was useless. Also I found them incredibly difficult to include into the network, let alone trying to sync them. :)

I had problems including them and it was probably due to failing batteries, a couple reported 100% then a fews days later 30-40%, then they just stopped.
They asked me to do a "blink" test, difficult when they are flat as a pancake!
The reason why I have 4 brand new replaced strips is that I did not feel comfortable trying to sell them on eBay, looks like if I tried you would not have bid :)
It seems a lot of people had problems including and failing across the HA spectrum, to quote one of many reports
“ I have had the same result with Sensative Strips. Of the 3 I bought one was DOA, the other 2 I struggled to pair with Vera and were put in a drawer for 6 months. One is now dead as well, refuses to respond to anything and the other one succesfully paired but showed only 25% and after 3 days has stopped responding.
Its a nice idea but too many people seem to have issues, and they just dont seem reliable enough for the cost.”

CliveS

Page 1 of 1