“Home of the future” series...

Posted on
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:56 am
roussell offline

“Home of the future” series...

Had anyone seen the “Home of the future” series on YouTube? This is episode 3, talking about the “brain” of the home. I had to laugh at some of the things they’re talking about as many of us were doing these “future” things 2 decades back! Still, it’s an interesting series and worth a watch if you have free time. I may copy the look from the RTI screens though, those were kinda nice and simple...

https://youtu.be/azNK_Tgkb30

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:41 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: “Home of the future” series...

Not bad. Certainly polished from the standpoint of presentation. I agree that much of what they're talking about is already within reach with what we do, but I suppose we're not the target audience. :D I laughed when the host said that you can do much of what they have in the house for a few hundred bucks. Another thing I noticed is that the integrator should tell his wiring guy that they probably shouldn't use their whole body weight to yank on Ethernet cable when pulling it out of the wall.

The RTI system is probably very nice. But given that I'm a hobbyist, I'd likely never buy a closed system like that. I do prefer the monochromatic look...

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:20 pm
mat offline

its the future!

Thanks for the link, a good watch

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:50 am
roussell offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Not bad. Certainly polished from the standpoint of presentation. I agree that much of what they're talking about is already within reach with what we do, but I suppose we're not the target audience. :D I laughed when the host said that you can do much of what they have in the house for a few hundred bucks. Another thing I noticed is that the integrator should tell his wiring guy that they probably shouldn't use their whole body weight to yank on Ethernet cable when pulling it out of the wall.

The RTI system is probably very nice. But given that I'm a hobbyist, I'd likely never buy a closed system like that. I do prefer the monochromatic look...

Definitely polished and well presented; I had to go back and watch again to see the guy playing tug-o-war with the wiring, good thing that wasn't a fibre bundle! It also cracked me up when he called the RTI processor a "supercomputer" - probably the equivalent or a RaspberryPi in there :lol: The local builders are RTI crazy around here, I see those systems in every new "smart home" that pops up on the market. When I look at the price in the little option sheet that the realtor gives you, it's always in the $20k range and includes the processor, TV (IR) control in the main living area, a front door/porch camera, integrated music in a few rooms (but not whole-home) and a handful of lights. When I think about all I could do with that $20k, I just smile.

Unless M&J sell out to one of the big-boys, I'll most likely always have Indigo. I do admit that Loxone tweaks my curiosity though. If I build my next home, which would be my forever home, I'd probably put in a full Loxone system and then write an Indigo plugin for full-on integration.

I really like the monochromatic look too, definitely trying to base my next series of control pages on that. They haven't been changed in 4 years so it's way overdue.

Terry

Posted on
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:19 pm
siclark offline

Definitely polished and I like the control app, it's the bit I can't do on indigo.
However how is this different to control4 etc. It actually answers a question for me about these systems. He laughed about having lots of apps and talks about a smart home. But all it does is put those multiple apps into one. There is no automation or intelligence.
You have to push a button to say you are home etc.
I'll also stick with indigo as it gives the potential for much more complex logic.

Posted on
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:00 pm
RogueProeliator offline

It also cracked me up when he called the RTI processor a "supercomputer" - probably the equivalent or a RaspberryPi in there :lol:

Which is strange since Grant Imahara is one hella smart engineer, he 100% knows the difference... all for the show, I guess.

Posted on
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:43 pm
roussell offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
It also cracked me up when he called the RTI processor a "supercomputer" - probably the equivalent or a RaspberryPi in there :lol:

Which is strange since Grant Imahara is one hella smart engineer, he 100% knows the difference... all for the show, I guess.

He is smart, and I'm sure all of his 'bots had more compute power -but money talks I suppose- it's been a while since they were canned form Mythbusters! (although I preferred Kari :wink: )

Terry

Posted on
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:28 am
mundmc offline

(Sigh... Kari... nerd love)

Page 1 of 1