Siriproxy is back!!! (um, functionally)

Posted on
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:35 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Siriproxy is back!!! (um, functionally)

mundmc wrote:
“Hey Siri, broadcast this rules”

I can't seem to replicate this, at least by saying exactly the above. I get Siri recommending stuff with "This Rules" in the title. What does work is:

"Hey Siri, broadcast" pause and wait for it to say it's running the shortcut and beep to prompt for more speech, then "this rules".

Is that what's actually happening or is there something extra you have to do to get the speech after "broadcast" to get passed in to the Dictate Text action?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:52 pm
mundmc offline

Siriproxy is back!!! (um, functionally)

Yes, you need the pause. I oversold it a little, but I’m still psyched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by mundmc on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

mundmc wrote:
Yes, you need the pause

Ok, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some switch or setting. Too bad, it would be much smoother if you could avoid the pause...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:59 am
racarter online

Not as versatile, but you could always have separate shortcuts for each thing you wanted to do, eliminating the wait for additional speech and hard-coding a variable value into the Python code.

That way you would only have to say the shortcut word or phrase.

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:41 am
DaveL17 offline

mundmc wrote:
iOS Shortcuts + Pythonista = gold

Quick question about this. I see that you can sync scripts using iCloud.

1. Can you write the scripts on a Mac and save them to iCloud (to avoid having to type them on the phone)? I can't think of a reason why not, but wanted to double-check.

2. Does Pythonista work with other cloud services (like DropBox)?

Okay, I guess that was two questions. :D
Last edited by DaveL17 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:00 am
autolog offline

Quick answer - Yes and Yes :D

Longer answer: I have saved a script on my iPhone to iCloud (Pythonista sets up a new folder Pythonista 3) however iCloud won't show this folder on my Mac or on iCloud.com :?
However, you can use the Files App to copy files from another iCloud folder (visible on the Mac) to the Pythonista 3 iCloud folder and you can also access dropbox. The problem I am having with the iCloud folder created on iOS and not visible on the Mac may be down to my setup - I haven't found a solution yet.

I bought this App last night as it seems the potential for integration with Indigo could be very good. :)

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:24 am
DaveL17 offline

Thanks Jon. I will check it out. Given what Pythonista can do, it seems a very reasonable price.

I have other folders that are in visible in Files App, but not directly visible on iCloud Drive on my Mac. I suspect that the Pythonista folder is one of these hidden folders. Point to your iCloud Drive folder on your Mac and then type CMD+SHIFT+. (command, shift, dot) which should make them viewable.

Warning: it also makes other things viewable that you don't want to mess with. :D

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:55 am
autolog offline

The only additional file that is revealed is .Trash. I have signed out of iCloud on my Mac and on my iPhone to try and force a sync. It seems that when you have an App that Syncs via iCloud its files aren't visible e.g. I use Airmail on my Mac and iPhone with iCloud Sync and can't see its files on the Mac. :?
Last edited by autolog on Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:56 am
racarter online

Strange. I can see the Pythonista folder and files from all my iCloud-connected devices.

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:02 am
DaveL17 offline

Strange is right. I haven't installed Pythonista yet, but here's before and after the shortcut.

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 7.59.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 7.59.09 AM.png (14.42 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 7.58.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 7.58.00 AM.png (26.34 KiB) Viewed 3579 times

The folders don't appear to be typical invisible folders (with leading dot), but something else.

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:41 am
autolog offline

An update: Signing in and out of iCloud seems to have eventually done the trick - the Pythonista 3 folder has now appeared on my Mac. :D

Must have been taking its time doing the sync. :?

This will make editing the Pythonista files on the Mac nice and easy in comparison with trying to code a script file on an iphone. :)

Now all I have to do is work out what I can do with it. :D

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:59 am
mundmc offline

In my experience, iCloud syncs up nicely with my host Mac.

Note: To use Pythonista scripts with iOS (or at least, with Shortcuts), I needed to place the script locally on the phone (NOT in the icloud folder).

To address the issue of lag and pauses, this is only because it is prompting the user. If I want to ask, “Who’s home?” There is no need for a pause. I just do the work on either the iPhone side or Indigo side and spit out a response.

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:10 am
siclark offline

autolog wrote:
Now all I have to do is work out what I can do with it. :D

I'm thinking I can do a hand free way of keeping a log of how much each of the babies drink each feed. "Hey Siri, baby feed 50" and it adds 50 to a variable that then is summed to a daily count of how much they drink. I can even then indigoPlot their daily and weekly feeding!

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:30 am
mundmc offline

This should be very do-able!

Make an Indigo Variable feedAmt
Make a Trigger: Variable feedAmt changed
# note: this will NOT work if the baby eats 50cc of formula two times in a row, so perhaps adds timestamp in your Pythonista script
- have the trigger add the amount to a separate Indigo Variable tallying the dailyTotalFeed
Make a Schedule: set the Indigo Variable dailyTotalFeed to 0 at midnight after logging the total

Sorry if any of this is obvious; just trying to be sympathetic to people like me when I started Indigo

Posted on
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:10 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

autolog wrote:
Quick answer - Yes and Yes :D

Longer answer: I have saved a script on my iPhone to iCloud (Pythonista sets up a new folder Pythonista 3) however iCloud won't show this folder on my Mac or on iCloud.com :?
However, you can use the Files App to copy files from another iCloud folder (visible on the Mac) to the Pythonista 3 iCloud folder and you can also access dropbox. The problem I am having with the iCloud folder created on iOS and not visible on the Mac may be down to my setup - I haven't found a solution yet.

It works well on my Macs and iOS devices. On my Macs, I just look at iCloud drive in the Finder and I see the Pythonista 3 folder with all my scripts. Sync is quite fast so I can develop/test using PyCharm pointing there and then easily switch to my iPad to test the full shortcut flow there.

In my copious free time, I'm working on a Pythonista script that should allow you to set up a shortcut (i.e. "tell Indigo") that will (after the pause) take dictation and perform the action. It won't be nearly as forgiving about how you order the words in a request to turn on a light for instance, but unless I run into some unforeseen issue, it should be relatively workable. It may even be able to collect your username/password/url if you haven't already specified it, but that may be version 2... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)