Texecom connect

Posted on
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 am
siclark offline

Re: Texecom connect

Yes. You need a USB cable as well. There are guides on line on how to make your own as it's only a simple connector, don't think it's proprietary.
Although are we really discussing cost of simple USB cables on a Mac based software forum where apple are the worst!
I actually used my USB cable as my main connection to Vera when I used that so got a lot of use but you will prob only use yours a few times.
Could be worth seeing if you can buy the panel already on v4?
Also you only need to flash to v4 to use the smartcom and new iOS app.
On v3 with only the comip and no smartcom you can still connect to indigo on IP and control the alarm, use PIRs for motion, view log etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:13 am
siclark offline

You can always add the smartcom at a later date if needed.
I have an indigo page that shows duplicates the alarm keypad and get notifications from pushover so it's not necessary. I got it more for other family users who don't like indigo app.

Posted on
Mon May 07, 2018 10:48 am
autolog offline

Just starting to have the time to revisit this. :D

It has been prompted by a power cut that occurred this afternoon, the external bell box alarms went off; so it looks like the battery backup failed. So rather than sort that out, I thought I should get this new system so that I can connect it to Indigo.

Luckily Indigo continued to run for the hour that the power was off thanks to my APC UPS. :D

So I am wondering where the best place to get this is in the UK; Security Warehouse?

I was thinking of getting the 48-zone metal boxed version. Do I need a separate wi-fi box to connect to any wireless sensors I get?

Posted on
Mon May 07, 2018 10:52 am
howartp offline

I got mine from Security Warehouse.

Not sure about wireless at moment as I didn’t/don’t use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Mon May 07, 2018 11:52 am
siclark offline

howartp wrote:
I got mine from Security Warehouse.

Not sure about wireless at moment as I didn’t/don’t use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My original kit came from diy-alarm/sapphire but more recent stuff from alert electrical.

Posted on
Mon May 07, 2018 11:59 am
siclark offline

autolog wrote:
Just starting to have the time to revisit this. :D

I was thinking of getting the 48-zone metal boxed version. Do I need a separate wi-fi box to connect to any wireless sensors I get?

The 48 metal is good choice as room for big back up battery and more secure. I got the 24 metal and for the extra money now wish I had gone with the 48. Just a few extra useful connections and outputs.

Yes to do wireless (not WiFi) sensors you'll need the 8XP expander box. Will wall mount next to the main box. The new micro contacts in different colours are really great.

If you want the smartcom features and the indigo plugin (sure you will!) You'll need both the smartcom and either WiFi on wired ethernet comip device. Strangely the wired one is the most expensive but more reliable than WiFi.

Are you keeping existing sensors?

You'll also need to register as installer on the texecom webpage (make up company name if needed as one friend wasn't approved without one) which lets you down load software and firmware.

Worth ensuring the panel you buy has latest firmware compatible with smartcom and you don't need to flash it as soon as you get it. East to do but means buying more bits.

Posted on
Mon May 07, 2018 12:03 pm
autolog offline

OK, here is a shopping basket from Alert Electrical - does this seem about right?

texecom.png
texecom.png (227.85 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

Trying to do a degree of future proofing. Will use my existing wired detectors and two bell boxes and start with a couple of wireless PIRs :)

Posted on
Mon May 07, 2018 12:35 pm
siclark offline

Looks a good start. What's the amps on the battery? I have a 17Ah one in mine.

Worth getting the flash module as you'll need it eventually. I have a spike suppressor on mine, only a few quid, don't know if they work.

You'll need the comip module for the plugin as well.

Plus worth pointing out my wife rejected those keypads with green text and wanted upgrade with blue text. Slightly nicer, still white plastic though.

Posted on
Mon May 07, 2018 12:46 pm
Vangelis offline

Texecom just revised their Comwifi (it was pretty crap before) as they want to start allowing the control of lighting etc

Setting up is pretty straightforward but the manual can be rubbish at times (just remember the comissioning jumper before you start to program) Wireless stuff (ricochet) is good as it uses a mesh network.

If your existing system is old then check the batteries in the bellboxes as well (as your keeping them)

£30 for that cable. Lol. Cheeky

Vangelis

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 10:57 am
autolog offline

Coincidentally, my daughter has today had a Texecom system professionally installed in their house.
So I have now seen some of the kit first hand. :)

I am quite taken with the Ricochet Micro Door Contacts.

Am I correct in assuming that with the Texecom Indigo Plugin, that each of the sensors will be separately visible to Indigo and therefore I could tell if a specific door or window was open (if it had one of these sensors attached)?

The Blue LCD keypads look quite good even if a bit expensive for just a change of colour: green > blue. :)

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 11:10 am
racarter offline

Jon

The plugin creates a device for each partition and each zone, so assuming you have one sensor per zone you'll see each one separately.

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 11:36 am
autolog offline

Ok - So if I need say 20 detectors, I would need to buy 2 x Premier Elite 8XP which would give me 24 zones?

Does the Premier Elite 8XP fit inside the panel or is it installed outside? :)

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 4:16 pm
siclark offline

autolog wrote:
Ok - So if I need say 20 detectors, I would need to buy 2 x Premier Elite 8XP which would give me 24 zones?

Does the Premier Elite 8XP fit inside the panel or is it installed outside? :)

You mean 20 wireless detectors?
Yes, if you go with the 48 you would need the 32XP-W expander. You also then cant exceed 48 zones in total on the panel, so depends how many wired zones you have.

If you mean wired zones, then yes, the 48 only comes with 8 wired inputs, and you need the 8XP expander for an extra 8 zones, and would would need 2 of those to get 24 wired zones in total.
The 8XP expanders dont fit inside the panel, they are quite large, but you can fit the RM8 inside the panel which gives you 8 zones, so you only need one of the 8XP.
As its wireless you also need the 32XP-W (or 8XP-W) to be outside the panel as well.
If you can have an ethernet connection for the Smartcom you can disassemble that and fit it inside the panel to limit the amount of extra devices you will have on the wall!

So, you could end up with 48 panel, Smartcom, 2x8XP and 1x32XP-W on the wall! But you can start small and add.

And whilst the plugin reads from the panel frequently, you can have up to a 10 second delay in the motion being seen and actions being triggered Its not as fast as a dedicated zwave sensor.

Posted on
Wed May 09, 2018 2:44 pm
siclark offline

IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG (409.01 KiB) Viewed 3207 times

The RM8 expander is outlined in yellow, along with its new zones.

Posted on
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:10 am
durosity offline

siclark wrote:
And whilst the plugin reads from the panel frequently, you can have up to a 10 second delay in the motion being seen and actions being triggered Its not as fast as a dedicated zwave sensor.

Well darn.. I was reading through this thread thinking this all looked very promising (as my DSC panel has some issues and I was thinking of replacing it with a more modern option) but as I use the alarm sensors for motion triggering and various other tasks around the house a 10 second delay just wouldn’t work . I assume this is still the case?

Computer says no.