LightwaveRF

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:32 pm
Vangelis offline

LightwaveRF

.... Gen 2 anyone? (https://www.lightwaverf.com/generation2)

Unsure of what protocol it uses but it’s now stateful

Vangelis

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:41 pm
durosity offline

Re: LightwaveRF

Yeah it’s interesting and much cheaper than I was expecting.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:28 pm
Busta999 offline

What is it using, zig bee, zwave 422Mhz - any clues - I can’t see any reference in the install manuals. I have a load of Gen 1 Lightwaverf that I have largely replaced with zwave to get the 2 way comms and the reliability you get with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:27 am
durosity offline

Yeah strangely they don’t seem to be publishing that info.. I guess we’ll find out when it starts being sold. I’m betting on another proprietary system that won’t work with anything else. Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing.. it’s not like z-wave is the perfect protocol.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:34 am
Vangelis offline

It looks like there may also be a requirement to have the hub to act as a segway for all the features and comms, which will be a bit of a tie in unless some nice developer writes a bridge for Indigo (similar to the wicked Hue Bridge)

Vangelis

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:32 am
johnpolasek offline

durosity wrote:
Yeah strangely they don’t seem to be publishing that info.. I guess we’ll find out when it starts being sold. I’m betting on another proprietary system that won’t work with anything else. Not that that’s necessarily a bad thing.. it’s not like z-wave is the perfect protocol.

Yes, that "We'll make it proprietary and make everybody who wants to develop for it sign a nondisclosure and pay us big bucks" philosophy worked out soooo well for Blackberry when the Apple's and Google's "We want to make it as easy as possible for anybody with a wild blue sky idea to develop an App for that" business models came out.

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:44 am
durosity offline

Heheh true.. but then again apples proprietary iPod was a huge success;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:44 am
durosity offline

(Not that I’m a fan of proprietary systems usually.. in fact for most non-Apple things I’m against it. Apple just seem to do it well)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:54 am
CliveS offline

Now that LightwaveRF2 is available and has support for HomeKit ( and that very nice chap C4W is sorting out the HomeKit Bridge) has anyone in the UK ventured into buying the hub and wall sockets or light switch/dimmers?

I have gone from 'not interested' to 'Looks promising' now that the new HomeKit version has 2 way comms.

Anyone see why this would not work with Indigo?

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:12 am
autolog offline

Some of the reviews on Amazon UK aren't too encouraging for the Gen 2 items. :|

Posted on
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:13 am
CliveS offline

autolog wrote:
Some of the reviews on Amazon UK aren't too encouraging for the Gen 2 items. :|

Had a quick look through the Amazon reviews, mixed to say the least but mainly that the dimmers sometimes flicker some LED bulbs and the software is/was not finished when they wrote the reviews but the main one seems to be the ridiculous price they are charging.

As I dont need the lights control, just would be convenient to have a few wall sockets without either a plug module sticking out of each socket or putting a module behind the socket which would mean on a 2 gang socket both would be be either on or off but with the Gen 2's either socket is individually controlled and gives power usage details per socket.

Or perhaps I should stick with the Neo inline Schuko sockets and save a fortune :)

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:18 am
Vangelis offline

Pulled the trigger on getting some LightwaveRF Gen 2 stuff a few weeks back. Have it running with Indigo / Alexa / HomeKit (thanks to HomeBridge plugin). Combination of light switches and sockets. Some features (like locking off sockets) might only be available through the LightWave App however...

Vangelis

Posted on
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:33 am
durosity offline

Vangelis wrote:
Pulled the trigger on getting some LightwaveRF Gen 2 stuff a few weeks back. Have it running with Indigo / Alexa / HomeKit (thanks to HomeBridge plugin). Combination of light switches and sockets. Some features (like locking off sockets) might only be available through the LightWave App however...

Vangelis

I thought the Gen 2 stuff was native homekit.. so why have you added it via Homekit Bridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:22 am
Vangelis offline

It is, however I wanted anything that was native HomeKit to talk with Indigo, and anything native Indigo (such as my Alarm sensors) to be able to be represented within HomeKit (to control scenes). In effect I kinda have 2 automation engines running in parallel (Indigo and HomeKit)

Vangelis

Page 1 of 1