LED strip light recommendation?

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 am
Different Computers offline

LED strip light recommendation?

I'm curious what people are using for color-controlled LED strip lights besides Hue. If my office renovation goes according to my current plan, I'll need more than 30 total feet of LED strip. That's a fortune in Hue lights, and also multiple devices. Not mandatory, but I would prefer to have that be one length and one device, which means going with something that's a dumb LED strip with a smart controller like the Fibaro RGBW Controller. But when I look forLED strips like this one, I don't see the info I need to make sure it will work with the Fibaro.

So, anyone out there using a very long run of LED lights with an Indigo compatible controller? Do tell!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:04 am
pocster offline

Re: LED strip light recommendation?

I've got some of the expensive Aeotec ones on order. Let you know what they are like when they arrive.

I *assume* Indigo supports them! :shock:

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:07 am
DaveL17 offline

I have a Fibaro RGBW bench tested and it works great in Indigo. I believe it'll work with any 4-wire RGBW strips. The ones I tested it with were generic and worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:07 am
Busta999 offline

Different Computers wrote:
I'm curious what people are using for color-controlled LED strip lights besides Hue. If my office renovation goes according to my current plan, I'll need more than 30 total feet of LED strip. That's a fortune in Hue lights, and also multiple devices. Not mandatory, but I would prefer to have that be one length and one device, which means going with something that's a dumb LED strip with a smart controller like the Fibaro RGBW Controller. But when I look forLED strips like this one, I don't see the info I need to make sure it will work with the Fibaro.

So, anyone out there using a very long run of LED lights with an Indigo compatible controller? Do tell!

I have taken multiple courses of approach for this.

Hue led strips for the Lounge.

3 x 5m 6000k led strips and 3x 5 led 3000k strips controlled by 3 zwave sockets, controlled by a zwave motion controller in the kitchen.

I am playing with extremely cheap £3.99 5m rgb led strips to put a static colour shadow line near the floor in the sunroom at night. If it looks really tacky I have only blown £11.97 :-)

Having done all the soldering and wiring to embed the bright leds in the kitchen I feel braver now to try the Dresden Electronik Hue compatible Zigbee controller. With Nathan’s help this should work through the Hue plugin for Indigo.

Probably my next led strip project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:35 am

Since apparently the Fibaro needs "anode common" strips, I'm very curious about actual brand names and model numbers of the no-nameo LED strips you've got working.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:52 am
DaveL17 offline

SUPERNIGHT LED Strip Light, 5050 16.4ft RGBW Non-waterproof LED Flexible Lighting, 12V 300LEDs, 5M Multi-colored LED Tape Lights

Via Amazon.

I think the lights and power supply combined was US$25.

Posted on
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:57 am
virgahyatt offline

I looked around quite a bit to find a cheaper solution myself. The best I could find was milight.com(UK) or limitlessled.com (US) which makes a wifi controller for various led strips that can be controlled via API.

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:40 am

Could someone who has this setup working post a pic of the wiring setup including the DC in to the Fibaro and the outputs to the LEDs?

Do you recommend a separately purchased power supply, or can I just wire the PS that came with the LEDs to the Fibaro?

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:43 pm
DaveL17 offline

I posted a picture in this thread http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13884&hilit=fibaro

Note that on my string, the red and green wires are flipped. This is due to the strip being wired improperly. I figured this out after following the instructions. :D

I purchased a separate power supply because my string did not come with one.

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:31 pm

Many thanks!

Hey Dave--the Supernight LEDs you recommended are the ones I bought. Can you confirm that with the Fibaro RGBW they have white lights? The cheap remote shipped with them doesn't do white and there's some Chinglish that suggests that's how it is supposed to be.

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:54 pm
DaveL17 offline

100 percent does white light.

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:29 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the reassurance. Thought I might have to buy another one. Now if I can just find the jumper wires I need to start testing! They were easy to find when they were just lying around in my office--which is now packed up for the renovation that triggered purchasing the lights that I need the jumpers for. :/

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:36 pm
DaveL17 offline

Just to confirm - the lead end of the LED strip says RGBW and not just RGB. Yes?

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:54 pm

Gah! No. They say +RGB.

So they're not the right ones. Thanks anyway, saved me an afternoon of banging my head trying to make them be white. Any idea which are the right white ones for this?

Posted on
Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:25 pm
DaveL17 offline

The ones I referenced above are here: https://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Non-waterproof-Flexible-Lighting-Multi-colored/dp/B00KQHQJ5C

If you look at the zoomed in picture, there are two distinct LEDs on the strip: one looks yellow and the other looks clear. In the pictures where the strips are illuminated, the colored and white LEDs are separate LEDs.