LED strip light recommendation?

Posted on
Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:35 am
virgahyatt offline

Re: LED strip light recommendation?

If you examine the contacts in the picture it should say RGBW, they may also say RGBWW (warm white) or RGBCW (cool white) indicating the color temperature of the white LEDs.

Posted on
Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:19 am
rehafer offline

I also had to flip two leads when I wired up my Fibaro controller to a 5050 strip. Other than that they work well together. I might recommend using connection plugs rather than direct wiring for ease of installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:34 pm
Different Computers offline

New strip arrived, and with just a bit of fiddling, I have the strip responding to Indigo!

Many, many thanks to @DaveL17, without whose picture I would not have figured out how to wire in the anode!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:41 am
DaveL17 offline

Different Computers wrote:
New strip arrived, and with just a bit of fiddling, I have the strip responding to Indigo!

Many, many thanks to @DaveL17, without whose picture I would not have figured out how to wire in the anode!

Glad I could help! I would recommend surfing the Indigo forums for the Fibaro. There is some discussion about setting preset scenes and the like.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:09 am

You're right there! After playing with it for just a bit, I already see the potential for getting it set the way I want to be fiddly. I bet some Action Groups will take care of it.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:34 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Having tried a few different brands of smd 5050 RGB strips with my Fibaro controller, and getting
a huge amount of falloff, aka dimming, from one end to the other I’m hoping someone could recommend
a strip that doesn’t have that issue using the Fibaro controller.

I need a 10m run. I’ve tried a number of power supplies and oddly the issue seems a bit worse as you go up in
amps and watts.

I have a number of other 10m strips, 2-5m strips with connectors, that do not have the issue at all that use cheap IR based controllers.
Hoping I’m missing something. Sure appreciate any leads on good strips that work well with the Fibaro.

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Dang it! You just made me notice that there's fall off on mine! But it's not bad. Would definitely be noticeable if the end doubled back to the start, but my 10m length is 3/4 around the perimeter of my office.

Supernight brand, if anyone is curious.

Posted on
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:18 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Yea, sorry about that. Mines just a straight run behind a wall molding. Tends to be noticeable.
Just tried hooking up the hot lead to each of the ends, with it disconnected at the center connector,
and it looks a bit better. Might be ok if I could just stop thinking about it :-(

Carl

Posted on
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:18 pm
DaveL17 offline

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:24 am
midd offline

Homekit compatible Light strips with no bridge required!

https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/09/review-v ... /img_1943/

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2018 12:03 am
DVDDave offline

Between the Fibaro/SuperNight and Aeotec devices, which would you guys recommend at this point for lighting behind a 65" TV controlled by Indigo and Siri/Homebridge? Or has something better come to market? Thanks.

--Dave

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2018 9:55 am

The question I wonder about is just how much fiddly control you want of the TV LEDs. I find that color changing during TV time is pretty distracting, though I've never had one of those controllers that matches to the screen colors.

I bought the wrong kind of LEDs when I was first trying to make a Fibaro controller work, and I repurposed them to behind my TV. They have their own remote, which I used to set it to a deep red. I power it from one of the TV's USB connections, and all that happens is it turns on and is red when the TV is on. This was a cheapo LED I probably spent $15 on and is 2x the size I need for my 50" TV.

So think about whether whatever else you imagine doing with Indigo control of your TV LEDs is worth the extra cost. I'm all about evaluating every new purchase of mine in terms of Indigo integration, but if that TV LED strip was suddenly, magically integrated 100% with my Indigo set up, I doubt I would make it do more than power up when motion is detected in the TV room. Then again I don't typically sit around listening to music in there. If I did, I might want that light show.

Posted on
Tue May 29, 2018 10:09 am
DVDDave offline

Thanks for the great info. Since the lighting in my family room is somewhat dim, I also plan to make use of the white lights to add some brighter lighting. So it seems to me Indigo control would be useful and that is what is driving me to Fibaro or Aeotec. It seems to me that Fibaro is more flexible but a little harder to set up. Also, Aeotec may give better lighting with its multiple whites. I'm not sure which integrates better with Indigo though since it's hard to try using z-wave without the device on hand.