Bathroom switch

Posted on
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:19 pm
pocster offline

Bathroom switch

Looking at these

http://www.sensor.co.uk/switches/bathro ... 0wodrBYIVg

Hate the standard bathroom pull cord but understand for safety must be used .

Anyone got these or similar and linked them up to indigo somehow ??

Cheers

Posted on
Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:55 pm
howartp offline

Re: Bathroom switch

I have a door sensor on the downstairs toilet door which detects occupancy, and a motion sensor within the room.

As soon as you enter, and again every 15 seconds, the motion sensor sees you and turns on light, with a schedule (or auto-off, can't remember) that turns light off 2 minutes later.

BUT, it only turns off if the door is open - so if you're sat on the loo (or in the shower, etc) then the light stays on. If you're a bloke stood at the loo, or you're just washing your face at the sink, it doesn't matter that the light goes out two minutes after you stopped moving (ie left the room).

Once you open the door again, the light goes out at some point - can't remember exactly how I set it up but it works great.

Could easily do same in Bathroom - there's already a door sensor on it so I know before I crawl out of bed whether it's occupied!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:28 pm
durosity offline

Ya know it was a faulty pull cord that got me into home automation in the first place. It kept jamming on.. and the landlord just wouldn’t fix it.. so I got a cheap x10 bulb adapter and motion sensor to turn it on and off automatically.. and it just built from there.

Also I’ve never understood why almost all houses in England have pull cords but in Scotland they’re exceptionally rare. They don’t seem to be put into new builds, fortunately.. like up north they just put the switch outside the bathroom door.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:51 am
DaveL17 offline

What is a bathroom pull cord?

Does that mean that you can't have a standard light switch in the bathroom??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:51 am
howartp offline

Yes, if your hands are wet you might electrocute yourself.

All UK lightswitches inside bathrooms are ceiling mounted with a string down to normal height so you're not making contact with the electrics.

Posted on
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:04 am
pocster offline

And they look cheap and horrific !

Posted on
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:23 am
DaveL17 offline

howartp wrote:

Huh. Who turns the light on AFTER washing their hands? :D

Posted on
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:30 am
howartp offline

DaveL17 wrote:
howartp wrote:

Huh. Who turns the light on AFTER washing their hands? :D

Or turning light off afterwards...
Or little kids....
Or....

!

Posted on
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:38 am
DaveL17 offline

In the US, we're required to have ground-fault interruptor outlets when they're placed near water sources (primarily bathrooms and kitchens but also laundry, etc.) but our switches are conventional. Not sure what the rationale is as to why we don't simply GFI the whole room.

Posted on
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:41 am
howartp offline

DaveL17 wrote:
but our switches are conventional.

Not sure about that; Your whole electrical system is far from conventional!

Posted on
Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:29 am
RogueProeliator offline

In the US, we're required to have ground-fault interruptor outlets when they're placed near water sources (primarily bathrooms and kitchens but also laundry, etc.) but our switches are conventional. Not sure what the rationale is as to why we don't simply GFI the whole room.

One difference that I have seen (wife was a huge House Hunters International fan) is that American bathrooms tend to be huge compared to European baths AND better segregated. A lot of the shows had showers without an enclosure (or full enclosure at least), meaning things within the bathroom were far more likely to get wet. That is almost unheard of over here.

I like our method better and it ends up serving the same safety purpose. As to the whole room, there are GFCI circuit breakers are generally fully code compliant, but they are less convenient when, say, your wife's hair dryer trips the circuit. Having a reset within the same room is far easier. Code for new houses (around here) is now going beyond that and requiring an arc fault interrupter on all bedroom circuits. These little SOB's are the worse invention ever for HA -- I think mine were tripping when Terry plugged in his phone to charge in Alabama. Ended up ripping two of them out because the extremely small change (presumably small spark) from SwitchLincs activating would trip them at times.

Adam

Posted on
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:41 am
roussell offline

I haven't seen pull switches in decades here. Like Adam was mentioning, electrical codes are so strict here now, I don't think they'd allow those anywhere near water.

RogueProeliator wrote:
I think mine were tripping when Terry plugged in his phone to charge in Alabama.

Maybe it was when I brought the mega-servers online. Although Jay may be closer to you, it's probably him!

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:32 pm
Mayhem offline

Its also I think because you use 120 volts 60Hz in the US from a centre tapped transformer and you can only get 55/60v between one line and earth. The line to ground voltage is half the line-to-line voltageIn.

In the UK we use 230/240 Volts 50Hz and thats between Live and neutral and Live and ground/earth.
So we need a bit more protection from the possibility of wet haps and faulty switches etc.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

:D :D :D

Posted on
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:33 pm
roussell offline

Mayhem wrote:
Its also I think because you use 120 volts 60Hz in the US from a centre tapped transformer and you can only get 55/60v between one line and earth. The line to ground voltage is half the line-to-line voltageIn.

In the UK we use 230/240 Volts 50Hz and thats between Live and neutral and Live and ground/earth.
So we need a bit more protection from the possibility of wet haps and faulty switches etc.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

:D :D :D

Close, your half-correct LOL. We have 220-240 Volts (depending on location) at 60Hz and 120 Volts from a center-tapped neutral to either of the "hot" lines.

Terry

Page 1 of 1