Broadlink RM Pro - Inexpensive IR/RF Integration

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:44 am
Chompy offline

Broadlink RM Pro - Inexpensive IR/RF Integration

BroadLink RM Pro - inexpensive WIFI to IR/RF universal remote - The app isn't the best, but I only bought it to control via Google Home & Alexa via Indigo.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FJ ... UTF8&psc=1

I’m using it to control my roller blinds, but it can learn IR & RF commands for things such as LED candles, TVs, etc.

After much searching and a bit of trial & error, I found that someone had found a way to control this via API & web request. (woohoo!)
https://github.com/ericmagnuson/rmcontrol

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:28 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Broadlink RM Pro - Inexpensive IR/RF Integration

So that means an Indigo plugin isn't too hard for someone to write, right?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:47 am
Chompy offline

That's my hope! :wink:

Either way, I’m happy to have a cheap solution for firing off IR & RF commands.

For clarification, I have it working with both Google Home & Indigo, but the solution is less than elegant.

My setup looks like this:

Google Home > IFTTT > Indigo via HTTPd plugin > RM Control server > Broadlink RM Pro > device being controlled

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:05 pm
TwitchCaptain offline

Here's a plugin supporting the Broadlink RM Pro+:
https://github.com/davidnewhall/indigo-broadlink

Please let me know how it works for you and provided any feedback or feature requests.

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Does the plugin support RF? So this would theoretically allow radio controlled fans to be controlled by the BroadLink?

Also the amazon link is dead. Is the "Broadlink New RM Pro" the same thing, or at least compatible?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:12 pm
TwitchCaptain offline

The plugin does not support RF, but I imagine adding it would be trivial. I just don't have any RF devices to test it with. I think @oceanplexian has an RF sprinkler system, but said it was weird to work with. Considering how the RM works with IR devices, I assume RF is a matter of changing a command name. I'm sure it can be added in no problem. If you're up for it, I'll take a pull request, or help make the necessary changes to work with RF.

As for "Is the RM the same as the RM Pro?" - I'm not sure, but I suspect the same command set will work. https://www.amazon.com/BroadLink-Automa ... B01GIXZDKO

One caveat to this device: there is no status. It's a fire and forget setup. So if your blinds use the same RF signal for UP as they do for DOWN, it could be a problem. Food for thought. I can't tell my TV to turn on. I can only toggle the current state without knowing what it is remotely.

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:51 am

frankyhall wrote:
If you're up for it, I'll take a pull request, .

Afraid I don't have any idea what a pull request entails, aside from being aware that it has something to do with GitHub. I'm no sort of a programmer, but thanks.

Considering the low price, I think I'll get one of these and try it out. I've got three RF-controlled Hunter fans I'm hoping I can make work with it.

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:05 am

OK, I read through a bunch of Amazon reviews and they're pretty tepid to downright hostile. What was your setup experience like with this device? I'm talking about even before trying it with Indigo. Also, can anyone confirm if it can learn RF devices?

Posted on
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:16 am
TwitchCaptain offline

The device itself is pretty dumb. It listens and it sends. When you put it in listen mode it just spits out a code representing whatever action was taken (volume up IR signal). Then you just run a command to send that same code back in and the device blasts it out. The device itself has no memory and no real configuration. You cannot assign a static IP (which may be a problem in my plugin), and you cannot open any configuration panel.

Setup goes like this: Install an App from the app store. Hold the button on the device for 5 seconds to put it into "pairing mode" or whatever they call it. The app "finds" it by using an unnamed SSID. You type in YOUR wifi password and it configures the device to connect to your wifi. Then you use the app to "learn and store" codes. That means, it puts the device in learn mode, and stores the codes on your phone. The app sucks. Like, really sucks. Don't use it or you will get a headache. Luckily, indigo control pages are easy to work with and my plugin provides that bridge.

My plugin allows you to learn codes right in Indigo and name them whatever you want. You can even execute unnamed codes as raw commands.

As for RF: The process is similar, but it goes into a different "learn" mode called channel sweeping. I do not have any RF devices, so I'm at a loss as to how to add this support to my plugin. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap switch or something.

Posted on
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:55 pm
madscientist offline

Just wanted to say thank you to the Broadlink RM Pro plug-in author! I am using this to control my basement home theatre system (receiver, ceiling-mounted projector, and cable PVR) via IR signals. It's awesome! I am also using a Harmony Hub to control my upstairs home theatre system. I have also used the Alex Hue Bridge plug-in to link the devices to my Amazon Echo. So now I can say "Alexa, turn on projector". Comparing the two systems:

Harmony Hub
    - Easier to set up
    - Not very flexible in what it can do
    - More expensive (about $130)
    - Difficult to use more than one Harmony Hub with Amazon Echo

Broadlink RM Pro+ with plug-in
    - Harder to setup (requires Indigo action groups and variables)
    - Less expensive (less than $US30 including shipping on eBay)
    - Much more flexible
    - Can use multiple RM Pro+ devices with Amazon Echo

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:12 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Very nice plugin. I got a RM Mini for my dad for Christmas (with an Echo and a few outlets, trying to get him automated) and got one for myself to play with, I hated it because setup was impossible. I decided to pull it out of mothballs today and play with it and found the Broadlink library and figured I would just write a quick plugin but not until checking the forums first. Low and behold, you wrote this little gem for the RM Pro. One hex change and it works with an RM Mini.

You can pick up two minis for $45 on Amazon so it is a super inexpensive way to get IR around the house. Once you get past the awful setup these little devices work pretty nicely.

Thanks for a great plugin!

I forked your distro because I wanted to incorporate the Broadlink lib in the plugin and made a couple other minor changes if you are interested.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:09 am

Anyone with experience using these for RF instead of IR, please speak up. Really hoping this will work with my dumb ceiling fans.

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:17 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Different Computers wrote:
Anyone with experience using these for RF instead of IR, please speak up. Really hoping this will work with my dumb ceiling fans.

I would try but I just recently put in FanLinc's for all my fans so I don't have that ability to test. I'll see if I can find another RF device to play with to see what happens.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:49 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Actually the mini doesn't do RF, not that the specs say at least.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:27 pm
virgahyatt offline

Got me one of these and the device is working great. But when I went to install the plugin found out that the broadlink library in python appears to be broken. Does anyone have it to share?