Plum WiFi Lights/Dimmer Controller

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:49 am
spiv offline

Plum WiFi Lights/Dimmer Controller

www.plumlife.com

Very nice light switch/dimmer controller that uses bluetooth for setup from your phone app but WiFi for all control and communication. Has some nice features such as controlling all the lights at the same time from the paddle switch by using a "touch and hold", a nightlight led ring that turns on with a presence detector, scenes, and a few other things.

Although it has a cloud service, their website says it will work without cloud/Internet connection, losing some functions, but still usable. (Seems like the cloud provides a remote access mode, but schedules and scenes still run locally.)

They claim they will offer an open API, and the pricing seems comparable to existing in-wall lighting switches/dimmers.

The founder of the company was the President of CEDIA and used to own a large custom installer, so they have a strong background in home integration/automation systems.

This might be an interesting alternative to Insteon or Lutron in-wall lighting controls.

Has anyone tried them yet? With the WiFi networking and hopefully API, I would assume integration with Indigo via a plug-in (or even directly) should be straightforward.

Posted on
Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Plum WiFi Lights/Dimmer Controller

I was an early supporter of their Kickstarter campaign about 4 years ago. I just got mine 2 months ago.

Given that they've promised an API from the beginning, and they estimated a delivery date of 2013, I'm not going to hold my breath for an API. I'll probably install the one I have in a non-critical location just to see how it works under normal use, but I'm just super skeptical about getting an API any time soon. We shared some emails with Utz back then, but nothing since.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:44 pm
plaurent offline

Found a python API on GitHub for the Plum light switch, done by someone independently (https://github.com/mikenemat/plum-probe). The last commit was on Aug 1.

The script is super easy to use, only requires an initial query to the Plum site for preliminary switch attributes (which are then stored locally), and works very well from the shell... so I don't have to wait for Plumlife to get their own API out to start integrating this thing.

Posted on
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:10 pm
plaurent offline

Got a hacked up plugin working for the Plum equipment, but I think I'm done with it. No public API still, despite my repeated pestering.

Got four of these things that are going to get Ebayed, heading over to the Caseta stuff to finish off the house lighting project.

Posted on
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm just amazed that they still don't have an API. I don't understand how they're still in business not being able to integrate into other systems...

Feel free to share the plugin. If you put it up on github maybe someone will help with it... 8)

There's another library on github that I was considering - it seems a little more fleshed out (they claim Python 3 but I suspect it would be easily adapted to Python 2 if it doesn't work immediately).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1