Smart Mirror

Posted on
Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:30 pm
DaveL17 offline

Smart Mirror

I've been wanting to do this for a long time.

http://boingboing.net/2016/02/04/diy-sm ... irror.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:52 am
durosity offline

Re: Smart Mirror

I bought the stuff to do that a while ago when i saw one on pintrest a few years ago.. still sitting there in a box. I'm very lazy. :D

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:46 am
DaveL17 offline

Hmmm. I don't know about that. No offense, but a smart box just doesn't have the same sort of appeal to me.

Dave

Posted on
Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:26 am
durosity offline

What about a smart bag? I just realised its actually in an old sainbury's bag.. Does that work for you?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:12 am
DaveL17 offline

Meh. Now if you had said smart satchel, that would be something else entirely.

Posted on
Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:50 am
durosity offline

Smart.. Gym bag? Not that I ever go to the gym.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:41 am
noel1983 offline

I just came across a couple of smart mirror videos this morning and love the idea. We have a mirror in our hall by the front door so my natural thought is could I combine a smart mirror with an indigo control page to use it as status display of certain devices in indigo.

Has anyone done this or seen any way of simply displaying things onto a smart mirror.

Lack of interaction with the smart mirror is my issue from what I’ve seen i.e. they all seem to Pi based and you choose what you want displayed then let it run.

If i’m Shaving etc then I may want to be able to interact using something like Siri or Alexa that would be perfect!!

CHeers

Posted on
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:52 am
durosity offline

The problem is going to be the mirror part would interfere with the capacitance sensing ability of whatever screen you put behind it. I’ve yet to see one where that functionality is retained. I suppose if the mirror part you used was sufficiently thin it might work, but the metallic layer for the mirroring would likely need to be very thin. Perhaps a better option would to just put some physical buttons down the side of the mirror and have an indigo compatiblesensor to read them and a trigger to complete said action?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:56 am
noel1983 offline

My assumption is that it would all have to be entirely voice control, and maybe like you suggest some physical buttons. Otherwise the mirror surface would be covered in soapy finger prints etc if in the bathroom.

The link below shows modules available which includes an Alexa plugin to search for YouTube modules and show/hide modules. Definitely one to have a play with

https://github.com/MichMich/MagicMirror ... ty-modules

Any thoughts on how to get indigo information into a module (I have zero coding skills) would be great.

Cheers

Posted on
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:05 am
Different Computers offline

You can do IR touch sensing, but it's awful compared to capacitive touch. Best to leave smart mirrors as info only with speech control.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:40 am
noel1983 offline

Fun week ahead, picking up two monitors through gumtree on Tuesday, mirror film on the way. Raspberry pi’s ready and found there’s a plugin that can bring in any webpage within an iframe. Will get pics up once I make some progress over the next week or so! Am genuinely excited by this as it may bring a wife acceptable status screen!

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:12 am
Different Computers offline

Please tell us about how well the mirror film works.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:05 am
noel1983 offline

Will do, First one is very much a Test job. I’ve also found reasonably priced two way mirror acrylic and glass.

Acrylic at about £30 for a3 ish size and £50 for glass

Posted on
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:36 am
noel1983 offline

Hi all,
Sorry for the delay, got some pics for you all!
First of all, magic mirror is awesome! Best project I’ve done in ages. I’ll be doing more in January (on holiday for next few weeks away otherwise would be quicker).
Film is ok, it’s lethal Sharp! Worst ‘paper’ cuts I’ve ever had lol
It does the job and for an ancillary mirror is good enough. For a lounge or hallway then I’d probably go for two way glass or may try the plastic as it isn’t expensive.

To put in perspective
Mirror film £12 enough to do 2 or 3 mirrors
Mirrored plastic around £30/frame
Mirrored glass around £60

Depending on size this is based on around A3 size

The software itself is great, I’ve had it running an indigo Iframe on a Test monitor and the potential is awesome. Especially coupled with Alexa in most rooms of the house for effective control.

Wouldn’t normally inflict a picture of me on you all but figured that’s the best way to show you how reflective it is.

This one is in one of our boys bedrooms (aged 13). We’ve added his school timetable to his google calendar so the mirror shows him what to pack in his bag for the next day.

Total cost of this one was £37
mirror film £12
rasp pi 0-W £10
Frame (charity shop) £5
Monitor £10 gumtree

Custom made frames for the exact size can be had online for £30 so next one I’ll spend a little more.

My plan is to have it next to my desk on the wall as a kind of dashboard.

I haven’t got the one with indigo iframe hooked up at the moment when I do I’ll post that as well.

Any questions let me know.

ImageImageImage

Posted on
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:54 am
autolog offline

That looks really good :D

What size monitor are you using and can you post some images of the back of the mirror? :)