Google Voice Plug-in + Life360 + IFTTT = Greatness

Posted on
Mon May 12, 2014 4:42 pm
Memaddog offline

Google Voice Plug-in + Life360 + IFTTT = Greatness

My wife and I have inconsistent home/away schedules so smart programming the thermostat was problematic. I searched for an automated way for Indigo to know when someone was home or not and ended up using a combination of the Google Voice plug-in, the Life360 App/service, and IFTTT and I'm absolutely loving it.

Essentially, the Life360 app (installed on both our phones) sends a text message to Indigo after both of us have left the house which then turns off all the lights and thermostat. Whenever the first person arrives at the house, the thermostat is set accordingly and if it's nighttime, I turn on a few key lights so the house isn't all dark.

The IFTTT service happens to have Life360 'triggers' for when the last family member leaves a preset location and when the first family member arrives at a preset location. I've had poor experience with the notification feature of Find My Friends - often getting the notification hours after the person left/arrived. I've been using the above set-up for about a week now and it's been flawless.

Note: The Life360 app does not need to be running for this to work, you just have to allow it to use location services.

Page 1 of 1