Broadlink RM Pro - Inexpensive IR/RF Integration

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:12 pm
mundmc offline

Broadlink RM Pro - Inexpensive IR/RF Integration

virgahyatt wrote:
It does have to be an independent Homebridge install. Not the Indigo plugin. You can install one on the same machine as indigo that I have experienced complications with that. If you plan on using the indigo plugin to control the Broadlink in the end, then you only need the extra Homebridge to get the codes. Once you're done you can remove it.

Thank you for clarifying! Saved me some time and angst. I have more raspi’s i care to admit... one of them can get a new assignment :)

Edit: more importantly, I suspect there are certain RF codes that are both common and desirable- curious what they turn out to be!

Posted on
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:31 pm
mundmc offline

Re: Broadlink RM Pro - Inexpensive IR/RF Integration

Following up on this:

Q: to implement in Indigo, do you simply use the plugin action to “send raw code” (sorry if that’s not the exact name).

I guess I’m wondering if the RF and the IR codes are both executed the same way via the plugin.

Q2: Have you tried using available codes from public databases? I am curious if they transport to Broadlink without any re-coding.

Posted on
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:45 pm
virgahyatt offline

Yes just the raw code command. I have not tried any public codes.

Posted on
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 am
Alphaman offline

Anyone looking into testing the plugin with the Broadlink RM4 Pro? There don’t seem to be many changes between it and the RM Pro, save for the added ability to use an external sensor, a “Zero-conf” feature, and a new app.

Thoughts? The promise of an updated app is enticing, if nothing else.

Posted on
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:31 pm
mundmc offline

So 26 months later, i happened to have time to try putting the Homekit Bridge on an rpi, but getting the Broadlink plugin going on the pi was a bear.

Unfortunately, while i can capture codes, they ain’t working when I try them. I noticed the codes after “scan” and “learn” are the same in your example. Any tips?

Posted on
Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:34 pm
geoffsharris offline

Anyone interested in working with me to add the rm4 mini? Can get it to discover it and get authorization, but device is false and I ca't get it into learn mode. Don't think it would take much, but I need a bit of help understanding how the current plugin works.

Posted on
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:12 am
vtmikel offline

I am interested in getting this working with the RM4 Pro.

Posted on
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:13 pm
agame offline

my take both from references on other forums, and having done lots of testing, is that devices with the current Broadlink firmware will no longer support the plugin or other 3rd party integrations (regardless of device model). I guess unless more reverse engineering has been successful....my last review of this was maybe 6 moths ago.

Posted on
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:53 am
vtmikel offline

agame wrote:
my take both from references on other forums, and having done lots of testing, is that devices with the current Broadlink firmware will no longer support the plugin or other 3rd party integrations (regardless of device model). I guess unless more reverse engineering has been successful....my last review of this was maybe 6 moths ago.

I have my RM4 Pro but it's going to be a bit before I have the RF device I want to control setup. It looks like the underlying library for the plugin is actively supported. I dont see any caveats for device support. What did your research find?

https://github.com/mjg59/python-broadlink

Mike

Posted on
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:03 pm
agame offline

There was a change to Broadlink authentication a some point last year which prevents the python library used in the plugin successfully controlling a device with more recent firmware. The API is reverse-engineered rather than supported, so perhaps not surprising.

The symptoms you've described tally with my recollection of the connection issues with the mini3. So my hunch is that is possibly your problem rather than the new hardware per se.

Since last putting this to bed several months ago I see there is further discussion of the firmware issue on eg the HA related forums ... https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/43567for one.

In these discussions there are various references to a planned fix which is promising- but I haven’t ( in a very quick look-around) seen a fix actually reported...maybe it has been which would be tremendous (though the Indigo plug-in library presumably would need an update still!).

It would be nice to get this going again!

Edit: with a bit more time, it does look like the Python library has been recently updated. But the Indigo plugin seems not to be maintained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk