kennybroh offline

Re: Kwikset Lock programming spec

Excellent. Mine is arriving today.

Thanks.

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:17 am
neilgreene offline

So, to control Zwave Locks, integrated into Indigo you need to go with miCasaVerde and the plugin to control devices to MCV?
Correct?

Posted on
Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:24 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Correct, currently that is the only way to control Z-Wave Locks. Note that you can use MiCasaVerde + Plugin just for the locks, and then use Indigo + Z-Stick for your other Z-Wave modules.

Posted on
Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:28 am
neilgreene offline

matt (support) wrote:
Correct, currently that is the only way to control Z-Wave Locks. Note that you can use MiCasaVerde + Plugin just for the locks, and then use Indigo + Z-Stick for your other Z-Wave modules.

I am really only interested in locks. Everything else I have is Insteon.
However, the plugin is no longer being developed by the 3rd party correct?

Posted on
Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:10 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Correct, the plugin is now open source but I don't believe there is anyone actively maintaining it. That said, it sounds like it is working fairly well and can control the locks.

Posted on
Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:07 am
neilgreene offline

jay (support) wrote:
kennybroh wrote:
And I assume as an interim measure I could simply set up a parallel z-wave network to control the locks and at some point integrate that into my Indigo system when that's possible. If I did that, what do you recommend as the easiest solution?

Sorry, realized I didn't really directly address this question.

The only way to support Z-Wave locks in Indigo at the moment is to get a MiCasaVerde Vera controller and configure the lock in their UI (it would indeed be a separate Z-Wave network from one you would create with the Z-Stick that Indigo could control directly). Then use the free Vera plugin to talk to it. Note that the plugin isn't supported by anyone at the moment (the original author, who was selling it originally, found that he didn't have time to support it and made it available for free in our File Library). However, I believe some users have had some success using it to control locks (as well as other Z-Wave devices).

I'm not recommending this approach mainly because it's pretty expensive - the Vera Lite is ~$180 (you might be able to find them cheaper) so added to the cost of the lock it's pretty pricey. And you have to use the Vera UI at the very least to add the lock to it (it's pretty awful IMO) so you can't do all of the management in Indigo (which we think is pretty important).

So you mean even with the plugin and with the MiCasaVerda (Z-wave controller) I still have to use the Vera UI, you mean the device does not show up in Indigo even in this configuration?? I don't mind if I can not manage it, I just need to be able to trigger it to lock and unlock from Indigo. That is possible right??

Posted on
Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:38 am
eme jota ce offline

So you mean even with the plugin and with the MiCasaVerda (Z-wave controller) I still have to use the Vera UI, you mean the device does not show up in Indigo even in this configuration?? I don't mind if I can not manage it, I just need to be able to trigger it to lock and unlock from Indigo. That is possible right??

I can control my z-wave kwikset locks from indigo and indigo touch using the plugin and micasaverde. There are several functions that the plugin can't execute, such as time and day of week based entry codes, but the indigo plugin that interfaces with the verde allows locking and unlocking via the indigo pages, triggers, etc.

Posted on
Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:01 am
neilgreene offline

I have a Z-wave lock setup in Micasa Verde. And I have two scenes setup, one to lock the bolt and one to unlock the bolt.
I know there is no support for the plugin currently for Indigo. But, I was trying to edit a trigger so that when it fired, it would lock the door. (or unlock).
But, when I select the Vera Actions ---> Run Scene in Indigo, I don't see any of my Verde scenes (just two of them, one to lock the door and one to unlock).

Does anyone else have this working?

Setup:

Indigo (latest server build)
MiCasa Verde (firmware 1.5.408)

THANKS!

Posted on
Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:24 am
neilgreene offline

neilgreene wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
kennybroh wrote:
And I assume as an interim measure I could simply set up a parallel z-wave network to control the locks and at some point integrate that into my Indigo system when that's possible. If I did that, what do you recommend as the easiest solution?

The only way to support Z-Wave locks in Indigo at the moment is to get a MiCasaVerde Vera controller and configure the lock in their UI (it would indeed be a separate Z-Wave network from one you would create with the Z-Stick that Indigo could control directly). Then use the free Vera plugin to talk to it. Note that the plugin isn't supported by anyone at the moment (the original author, who was selling it originally, found that he didn't have time to support it and made it available for free in our File Library). However, I believe some users have had some success using it to control locks (as well as other Z-Wave devices).

I'm not recommending this approach mainly because it's pretty expensive - the Vera Lite is ~$180 (you might be able to find them cheaper) so added to the cost of the lock it's pretty pricey. And you have to use the Vera UI at the very least to add the lock to it (it's pretty awful IMO) so you can't do all of the management in Indigo (which we think is pretty important).

I have the plugin configured, and my z-wave door locks, which are controlled by miCasa Verde appear in Indigo as Indigo devices. The issue is, the status of the device does not really indicate the security of the device as LOCKED OR UNLOCKED. The status just shows OFF. So, you do not know if it is unlocked or locked.

The plugin will let you execute a Verde Scene, and the Verde scene knows the proper state of the device. But, when I select the option in Indigo to run a Verde scene, my scenes do not appear in the drop down. :-(

Posted on
Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:37 am
neilgreene offline

neilgreene wrote:
neilgreene wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
kennybroh wrote:

I have the plugin configured, and my z-wave door locks, which are controlled by miCasa Verde appear in Indigo as Indigo devices. The issue is, the status of the device does not really indicate the security of the device as LOCKED OR UNLOCKED. The status just shows OFF. So, you do not know if it is unlocked or locked.

The plugin will let you execute a Verde Scene, and the Verde scene knows the proper state of the device. But, when I select the option in Indigo to run a Verde scene, my scenes do not appear in the drop down. :-(

PROBLEM SOLVED

Sorry about that. I had not gone into Indigo and created my objects in Indigo for the Verde scene mappings. Once I created my Indigo objects, (VERDE --> NEW --> SCENE) for my scenes I was fine. So, my Indigo trigger that is watching my ELK security system (via ELK plugin) sees the ELK is alarmed and uses the Verde plugin to lock any external doors after 3 min. That is all I needed, simple enough. Indigo, talking to ELK via plugin and ZWave locks via plugin.

Neil

Posted on
Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:54 pm
neilgreene offline

neilgreene wrote:
neilgreene wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
kennybroh wrote:

CORRECTION: I was incorrect above by saying you do not know the status of the Z-Wave door locks since Indigo only shows ON and OFF. For my locks, the ON STATE is always LOCKED and the OFF STATE is always UNLOCKED. So, based on this status Indigo does know the state of the lock. And, by implementing the Zwave scene, I always know I am sending the correct command since the Micasa knows the polled state of the device.

So my setup with Micasa Verde, Indigo is working great for my Z-Wave locks. Yes, a little pricing considering the $200 for the MCV. But, it works.

Posted on
Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 pm
welchgregusa offline

It's been a while since this topic was active but here goes....

I've just purchased a MiCasaVerde Vera3 and two Kwikset Z-Wave locks. (I'm using Indigo 6.0b8, and the Vera3 has the latest firmware.) I was able to configure the locks in the MiCasaVerde software, and installed the MiCasaVerde Vera Indigo Plugin and set up the locks as Vera devices, and I am now able to lock and unlock the two doors.

However, the state of the locks is not reflected in the corresponding Indigo devices. The state shown appears to be always "on" no matter whether the doors are locked or not. (The MiCasaVerde software displays the correct state when locking and unlocking.)

I tried creating a scene for each lock in the MiCasaVerde software, and then adding those as devices in Indigo, and while I can also control the locks by executing the scenes from within Indigo, it's still not right. For one, the locks OR the MiCasaVerde software (not sure which) do not allow me to create Lock and Unlock scenes—I can ONLY create a "Toggle" scene. See below.

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 4.11.15 PM (Wed, May 29).png
Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 4.11.15 PM (Wed, May 29).png (63.15 KiB) Viewed 14047 times

When I execute that scene (Toggle) from within Indigo, it does indeed toggle the physical locks, but again I have no way of getting the state back in Indigo.

Anyone have any ideas for how to get the state back (at least) from the Vera3 into Indigo? If I can get some time I'll try digging into the plugin code but I don't hold out great hope for that.

Posted on
Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:14 am
welchgregusa offline

And after all that...it now seems to be working. I have no idea what changed.

I actually did add some logging statements to the plugin, and confirmed that the logic (which doesn't make complete sense to me w/o more information about the lock API) behaved as one would expect from the code. No surprise, but a little comforting. But then, as I was testing, I realized that the Indigo device status for the locks was changing appropriately. Yea!

By the way—I am not using the scenes created in the Vera software. Just the device in Indigo.

Posted on
Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:19 pm
wideglidejrp offline

Kwikset z-wave lock with MiCasa and Vera plugin

I have just purchased a Kwikset z-wave door lock. I have the lock in Indigo connected to my z-stick network. I now see in the forum that although the device is visible to indigo, the APIs are not available to control the lock. In reading through the postings, it sounds like I can control the lock with Mi Casa Verde VeraLite Home Controller (Amazon - $179) and the Vera plug-in. I would appreciate if someone could confirm my understanding before I purchase the Mi Casa. Alternatively, if support in my existing z-wave network is imminent, I can certainly wait. Any advice will be appreciated.

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:57 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Others have made it work apparently - but I can't guarantee it since I haven't personally tried it.

Native support for Z-Wave locks is not imminent, and in fact is pretty unlikely at this point.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn