Kwikset Lock programming spec

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:44 pm
wideglidejrp offline

Re: Kwikset Lock programming spec

Not a strong argument from me even though I am a proponent of cloud services. Indigo is great and I would rather not have had to buy a mcv and have yet another place to log into, but I had no choice once I had chosen Kwikset locks, which seem best locks to me. With regard to your Internet/ISP point, I find myself reliant on that anyway. I am fortunate to have three homes. Whichever two happen to be remote at the moment often need my attention for one reason or another. For example, yesterday, cleaning people needed to get into my place in FL. I am in PA. They need the water on clean. My water main is controlled by a solenoid valve connected to Indigo on an iMac in the condo. I could not turn on the water. The IP address is there and my separate webcam works. Something must be messed up with the iMac. My vnc screen sharing doesn't work either. Bottom line, I am hosed. The cleaning person knows nothing about the Mac and how to check it out. I have no good solution. This happens several times a year at one of the houses.

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:02 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We aren't thrilled about the complexity of the Kwikset lock solution, and definitely have plans to try to come up with a more native solution. At this point it will probably ZigBee locks, like the ZigBee version Kwikset makes, but we won't know for sure until we get further down that path. The current solution of using a 3rd party controller and the plugin appears to work for folks, but by no means do we think that is a good/acceptable solution in terms of cost and complexity.

BTW, make sure you have Indigo Server properly licensed on all those homes. While you can run the client on multiple Macs you need a full Indigo license for each server install. :-)

Posted on
Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:06 pm
welchgregusa offline

For me, the value of Indigo is not related to the cloud, remote access, etc. (though those are nice) it's the incredible power I have (if I want to use it) to customize the behavior via the many, many options for scenes, schedules, triggers, variables, etc.; and for each of those very powerful conditional controls, action groups, scripting, etc.

And I *love* the ability to create control pages that look like my house, in any way I want. E.g., I have a "Main" one that allows me to control lights, and to *see* but not toggle door locks, so I don't accidentally toggle one; then I have a "Doors" control page that allows me to toggle locks. So I really have to intend to toggle a lock (visit that control page), which is a good thing for a touch device where it's easy to accidentally touch a control and not realize it. I also have control pages for "Water" (leak sensors, pool level sensors, etc.), for "Audio" (controls my home speaker selector switch, audio source, volume in each room, ...), "appliances" for controlling various appliances that (again) I don't want to accidentally switch, etc., and an "HVAC" one that allows me to control thermostats, etc. When I get time I'll be adding a "Video" control page w/ camera feeds. I have been testing several cameras---just need time.

Perhaps it's just me, but MCV (with all due respect to them and the product) seems quite difficult to set up and use, and relatively limited compared to Indigo.