Kwikset Lock programming spec

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:23 pm
kennybroh offline

Re: Kwikset Lock programming spec

OK, thanks. So it seems that I'd probably be well advised to wait since I know if I got z-wave locks you'd implement zigbee and vice versa. If I'm broken into in the meantime I'll just blame Indigo...

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:35 pm
terrydew offline

Is this problem with all locks or just the kwikset? Will Yale locks work?

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:48 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It is that we don't have the API to control the locks, so it applies to all of them.

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:27 pm
roussell offline

I remember posts elsewhere of other small HA companies trying to utilize zwave - if I remember correctly; access to the SDK, especially the secure communication portions of it is EXTREMELY expensive and requires the companies to jump through a lot of hoops and even disclose/provide IP to Zensys. It may not be quite that evil but I remember thinking "Crap, why would any business choose to put up with that nonsense?!?" when reading through some of the stuff.

They never said as much but I've always suspected that's why Homeseer went all Zwave and dropped native support for Insteon. Even with their size I think they had to go all-in on zwave just to cover the costs associated with licensing the APIs.

I'm up for any alternative that'll give me control/feedback and won't cost over $1,000 just to secure 3 doors. I'm really surprised Smarthome hasn't developed an true Insteon-based alternative...

Terry

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:40 pm
kennybroh offline

Well, there is an Insteon alternative. They have a door strike which you can activate with an IOLinc.

There are also a number of RF based lock sets. Could we control those from within Insteon?

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:03 pm
roussell offline

kennybroh wrote:
Well, there is an Insteon alternative. They have a door strike which you can activate with an IOLinc.

The problem with the current Insteon offering is that it doesn't report status so you have no way of knowing if 'locked' really is. That's why I specified control AND feedback in an Insteon alternative.

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:19 pm
kennybroh offline

Ah.

I guess the products that are straight RF would have the same problem. Since they are usually controllable from handheld remotes I assume they don't communicate any data but simply respond to commands.

Posted on
Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:06 pm
kennybroh offline

terrydew:

You still have your locks running on Vera, yes? Do they work OK through the Indigo plug-in?

Posted on
Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:51 am
terrydew offline

Yes, I still have a Vera running just for the lock. I works most of the time from Indigo via the plugin. Sometimes the plugin will not show the correct status but as I recall in every case the. Vera was correct. One option might be for Matt and Jay to fix the remaining issues with the plugin and just require a vera lite for lock control. The lite is about $180 but these locks are not cheap.

I have no idea of the $ involved but if zwave locks would require a separate plugin that would have to be purchased could enough fund be raised for the API. They could sell them on a pre released basis so they would be sure to have the funding before committing to the API. Just a thought?

Posted on
Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:47 am
kennybroh offline

I just ordered a Vera lite and one Kwikset to try. Unfortunately I've never ventured into plugin programming or else I'd take a crack at fixing the current version. Too bad nobody here who is plugin savvy seems to have an interest in making the locks work perfectly. I'd have no problem lending Matt or Jay a lock and a vera if they were willing to do that.

I'd certainly be willing to pay.

Posted on
Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:00 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

First, we've just posted a note about Z-Wave lock support that explains where we are and our position. That will serve to answer any questions about that topic and we'll continue to update that thread as we make any decisions.

Secondly, we don't have the time or bandwidth to support/develop the Vera plugin. The source (as provided by the original developer) is in the plugin should someone else want to take it over but we can't commit to it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:35 am
kennybroh offline

Thanks for the explanation. It's really unfortunate that they have put such large obstacles in your way. I assume there is no practical way to have an existing licensee provide some simple api's to their product without revealing any of the underlying source?

Never having worked with any plugins, is the environment or syntax reasonably documented and do basic debugging tools exist? I have done a reasonable amount of programming (although I confess to having struggled a little with the python syntax...) and would be willing to take a shot at baby-sitting the vera plugin for lock control if it isn't a monumental undertaking.

As always I appreciate and admire your responsiveness and am grateful for your products.

Posted on
Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:43 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

kennybroh wrote:
Never having worked with any plugins, is the environment or syntax reasonably documented and do basic debugging tools exist? I have done a reasonable amount of programming (although I confess to having struggled a little with the python syntax...) and would be willing to take a shot at baby-sitting the vera plugin for lock control if it isn't a monumental undertaking.

Python is well documented all over the net. We think that the Indigo IOM is well documented (though we are behind documenting some of the new features in Indigo 6). Frankly, I've never even opened the plugin's source so I can't comment as to how hard it would be to jump in and start fixing bugs.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:49 pm
terrydew offline

Thanks for the explanation. Easy to see why zwave not as strong in the market as it could be. The plugin with Vera works well enough for anyone wanting to try. It may be to soon to say for sure but it looks like the lock status works better since I have off loaded all other zwave devices to the zstick and removed my 2nd Vera network.

Posted on
Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:19 am
eme jota ce offline

terrydew wrote:
... The plugin with Vera works well enough for anyone wanting to try.

I can also confirm that the Vera Plugin has been working very well to control and reliably report the status of three z-wave kwikset locks via Indigo. Have been using the Vera Plugin since August.