Indigo on Synology NAS

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2009 2:40 am
w.korsten offline

Indigo on Synology NAS

I've been playing around with Indigo, it is really the best on X10.
But wouldn't it be great if it was working on a NAS like the http://www.synology.com/enu/index.php

In this way our Mac's wouldn't be constantly on power.

Are there any plans on developing such a sollution in the future?

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2009 7:25 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo on Synology NAS

We are investigating future hardware directions for Indigo. Unfortunately we have more big features on our really-want-to-do list than we can possibly do over the next year or two. We'll see...

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 pm
DPattee offline

(No subject)

You'd lose the ability to run applescript if there was a linux version though, and that would be a huge blow to Indigo's functionality.

(I've actually migrated some of the non-home automation stuff that i used to use cron/etc for in to indigo just so I'd have a nice single place to deal with that stuff)

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2009 6:29 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

DPattee wrote:
You'd lose the ability to run applescript if there was a linux version though, and that would be a huge blow to Indigo's functionality

But what if there were a good Python based API for Indigo Server scripts? I don't really expect anyone running Indigo Server on a Mac to switch to an embedded version (not much of a reason), but for users that don't have a Mac or don't have a Mac they can leave on 24/7 (laptop) it could be a good solution.

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2009 6:53 pm
DPattee offline

(No subject)

That's a tough one. Having both python & AppleScript ways to do things would be either 'more flexability' or 'more fragmentation' (re: getting help, script library) depending on how you look at it :?

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2009 3:54 am
macpro offline

(No subject)

The power of Indigo is that you can use AppleScript to talk to other Mac apps like iRed. This makes it possible to make a complete integrated home automation solution.
Moving Indigo to a non Mac platform takes that posibility away.

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2009 4:54 am
anode offline

(No subject)

i'd opt for tivo based indigo

Posted on
Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:23 am
orangy offline

I really would be happy to setup Indigo on Synology NAS. I don't have desktop MACs at home, only macbooks, so it's a little bit uncomfortable to plug and unplug z-wave stick every time I come home... AirPort Extreme would also work, or AppleTV (Gen 3), but looks like it is unlikely, at least before Apple allows apps on Apple TV (see rumors). I'm programmer, so I can build server from sources, install drivers, setup python, etc. Please, let me do it! :)

Posted on
Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:32 pm
manieq offline

How about : Synology + VirtualBox + OSX ?
http://www.wijngaard.org/virtual-synolo ... irtualbox/

Posted on
Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:27 am
macpro offline

That's not going to work. The post you're pointing to is about running the Synology software in VirtualBox.
Not about running VirtualBox on top of the Synology software.

Just get a Mac mini. You can have an older one for $200 and it will run Indigo with a big smile.

Page 1 of 1