Enable standalone Powerlinc 2414U V2?

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:21 pm
halgreene offline

Enable standalone Powerlinc 2414U V2?

I know I'm missing something, but when I program my Powerlinc V2 2414 everything works fine as long as I issue commands through the Indigo software, so I know the PL is talking to my Insteon switches fine. But when I program simple events and disconnect, the unit does NOT seem to go into what it calls "standalone" mode. The events do not seem to work (simple time-of-day on/off events, nothing fancy). When I connect I get a message that "standalone is disabled." Isn't standalone automatically enabled when I disconnect? Or do I have to explicitly enable standalone mode somehow? If I unplug the PL and move it to a different outlet, does this affect the mode of the PL? Finally, I want to issue simple "all on" and "all off" commands. I would think that these are the MOST basic Insteon commands possible, and yet I'm informed (by Indigo) that they are NOT compatible with the PL. Is this a PL issue or an Indigo issue? I can hardly imagine that the PL can't do this command, only that the Indigo THINKS it can't. Thanks, Hal.

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Enable standalone Powerlinc 2414U V2?

halgreene wrote:
I know I'm missing something, but when I program my Powerlinc V2 2414 everything works fine as long as I issue commands through the Indigo software, so I know the PL is talking to my Insteon switches fine. But when I program simple events and disconnect, the unit does NOT seem to go into what it calls "standalone" mode. The events do not seem to work (simple time-of-day on/off events, nothing fancy). When I connect I get a message that "standalone is disabled." Isn't standalone automatically enabled when I disconnect? Or do I have to explicitly enable standalone mode somehow? If I unplug the PL and move it to a different outlet, does this affect the mode of the PL?

Standalone mode is (by default) enabled when:

1) The server shuts down (by selecting "Stop Server" from the Indigo 4 menu)
2) You select "Disconnect" from the Interface menu

Simply unplugging the PLC from your Mac or from the wall won't do it since Indigo needs to be able to upload what it can and tell the PowerLinc to go into standalone mode. To make sure that it's doing the upload automatically, select "Choose Interface / Serial Port..." from the "Interface" menu, then click the "Interface Options..." button. In the "Advanced PowerLinc Options" dialog that opens, make sure the first checkbox ("Automatically upload timers on startup / sleep / disconnect") is checked.

If that works before you unplug it from the wall, but fails after you move it, then your PowerLinc probably has a bad battery.

halgreene wrote:
Finally, I want to issue simple "all on" and "all off" commands. I would think that these are the MOST basic Insteon commands possible, and yet I'm informed (by Indigo) that they are NOT compatible with the PL. Is this a PL issue or an Indigo issue? I can hardly imagine that the PL can't do this command, only that the Indigo THINKS it can't. Thanks, Hal.

There is no INSTEON All ON/OFF command like there is in X10. To get the same functionality, you'll need to create a PowerLinc Group/Scene that contains all the lights you want to go on/off then send that group an on/off.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:06 pm
halgreene offline

Nope...

Nope, no matter what I try, no matter what settings or preferences, the Powerlinc will not execute any commands while disconnected from Indigo.

It works great when Indigo is running, but after disconnect...nothing.

And yes I upload settings and yes I enabled the preferences. Something in some setting is missing or for some reason I have a defective unit. Not sure how to check the battery but when I check the unit the time is always right. Not sure how to capture what the unit itself is sending out.

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Nope...

In the Upload Settings dialog do any of the items have a compatibility of "good" or "okay"? Those should definitely work.

Try these steps:

1) Upload your logic (via the Interface->Upload Settings menu item), then choose Interface->Disconnect (if it is enabled).

2) Unplug the PowerLinc from the outlet for a few minutes, then plug it back in.

3) Choose the Indigo->Preferences menu item, then press the Interface Options... button, then press "Show Interface Time", then press "Sync Interface Time", then press "Show Interface Time" again.

4) Copy/paste the result of step #3 from the Event Log into a forum post for us.

Posted on
Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:01 am
halgreene offline

Here's what I get...

I'm getting this when I try your suggestion:

Mar 21, 2009 11:58:28 AM
PowerLinc Indigo clock time: Mar 21, 2009 11:58:28 AM
Error ProcessPowerLincV2IO() caught exception: TimeCalculationError -- timegm call failed
PowerLinc Daylight savings time currently enabled
PowerLinc Clock set to Mar 21, 2009 11:58:35 AM
PowerLinc Indigo clock time: Mar 21, 2009 11:58:41 AM
Error ProcessPowerLincV2IO() caught exception: TimeCalculationError -- timegm call failed

Is this this source of the problem?

Posted on
Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:03 am
halgreene offline

Also this...

I also get this:

Mar 21, 2009 11:55:29 AM
Time/Date Action Exterior on
Action Group Exterior on
Error "Stoop" on; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Error "Garage" on; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Error "Deck" on; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Time/Date Action Exterior off
Action Group Exterior off
Error "Stoop" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Error "Garage" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)
Error "Deck" off; send failed (no acknowledgment)

Posted on
Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:19 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Here's what I get...

halgreene wrote:
I'm getting this when I try your suggestion:

Mar 21, 2009 11:58:28 AM
PowerLinc Indigo clock time: Mar 21, 2009 11:58:28 AM

Unfortunately, you have a malfunctioned PowerLinc. Its clock chip is bad or the lithium battery is dead. You should contact the dealer from which you purchased it to get a warranty replacement.

Posted on
Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:59 am
longshadows offline

A year later... I have the same problem, but when I tried you recommendations, I go to Preferences and press "Show Interface Time", then press "Sync Interface Time", then press "Show Interface Time" I don't see anything new. No little window pops up with this information, nothing! Any thoughts?

It may be, as with the previous poster, that my PL has gone out. If so, this is the 2nd time in less than five years, I've had to replace one!

Thanks,

Michael

Posted on
Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:54 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

Check the Event Log window (via the Window menu). Copy/paste what is shown after you press both of those buttons.

Posted on
Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:25 am
longshadows offline

Thanks, that did it. Here's what I show...

Mar 7, 2010 11:21:04 AM
PowerLinc Indigo clock time: Mar 7, 2010 11:21:04 AM
PowerLinc Hardware clock time: Mar 7, 2010 11:21:04 AM
PowerLinc Software clock time: Mar 7, 2010 11:21:05 AM (681 minutes since midnight)
PowerLinc Daylight savings time currently disabled
PowerLinc Clock set to Mar 7, 2010 11:21:09 AM

I know that the PL is connected. I can issue manual commands to all modules from the Mac via the PL. It's the automated/times commands which should be stored in the PL once it's running independently that I have trouble with. I made one change to a module last night and now all of my modules are not responding (or the PL is not sending) any commands. All lights were still on as of mid-morning. Up until yesterday, the all worked fine.

mp

Posted on
Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:36 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Choose the Interface->Upload Setttings.. menu item, and press the Upload button to force all the schedules and logic to be pushed to the PowerLinc again.

Does it work then?

Are there any errors in the Event Log after you do that?

Posted on
Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:11 am
longshadows offline

Yes, when I click on "Upload Actions" button, the button sort of pulsates, like some action is taking place, but that's it and it remains that way until I cancel the action.

And yes, there is a single line error in the Event Log (I tried it twice):

Error (client) uploadHit() caught exception: NSInvalidArgumentException -- -[NSCFNumber isEqualToString:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1aa53a60

Error (client) uploadHit() caught exception: NSInvalidArgumentException -- -[NSCFNumber isEqualToString:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1aa7e370

Thank you very much for trying to help me!

m

Posted on
Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:03 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Those are very peculiar errors. They are coming from the client process and not the server process, but I'm not sure what is causing them. Try quitting both the Indigo client and the Indigo Server (Indigo 4->Stop Server menu item).

Does that help?

Also select the Indigo 4->About Indigo menu item and tell me what version it shows for both the Indigo client and the server (they can be different, but shouldn't be).

And what version of Mac OS X are you running?

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2011 9:27 am
padkins offline

I'm not sure if a solution has been found but I'm getting the same Error (client) error as listed above.

Erroror (client) uploadHit() caught exception: NSInvalidArgumentException -- -[NSCFNumber isEqualToString:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1aa7e370

New 2414u
Same error on 2 macs (1 mac mini and 1 mac powerbook) running 10.6.7

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2011 9:34 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Can you email us (indigo-support AT perceptiveautomation.com) your database file? We aren't seeing the problem here with our databases, so I'd like to see if we can reproduce the problem with your file. Thanks.

Code: Select all
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/Databases/

Page 1 of 1