Has anyone tried using Roomme?

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:03 am
norcoscia offline

Has anyone tried using Roomme?

Looks like a cool device. It has an API and works with HomeKit...

https://www.intellithings.net
Attachments
2020-02-11_04-58-14.jpeg
2020-02-11_04-58-14.jpeg (107.09 KiB) Viewed 4335 times

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:29 am
siclark offline

Re: Has anyone tried using Roomme?

Isn’t this pibeacon with some rules to trigger actions?

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:53 am
norcoscia offline

I don’t think so even though they are designed to do something very similar. If my memory serves me, pi beacon calculates RF time of flight differences between devices to determine approximate location. These seem to just ID a device and then associate it with the room it is placed in.

In any case this looks a bit easier to set up and use if it works. That is why I was asking. Karl does amazing stuff with indigo for the community so I want to be sure folks understand that is how I feel, and I was not trying to move the spotlight away from his generous contributions.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 am
kw123 offline

Completion is always good.

There were other similar systems popping up over the years. They all disappeared.

I guess there is not enough money in it AND there are limitations. Ie the phone’s do not always respond in time. And that time delay makes it more difficult.

But!!
And yes each beacon has a closet RPI state and also each RPI has a closest ibeacon, same for BLEconnect = phones. That is the room association.

I now have an rpi in each room and also outside. I will play with exactly this and some other sensors like movement, lidar etc to get to the nirvana state.

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:47 am
siclark offline

Exactly. I have a pi in each room and connected via Bluetooth to our phones so it knows which room a phone is in. At least in theory.

Depending where the pi is relative to the phone and size of room it can get confused. I’m not sure how the Roomme thinks your phone will Ping precisely as you pass under the door but not if you are walking around in the room the other side of that door.

Interested as well to see how it can manage that with ceiling mounted devices that I’m guessing would have to be battery powered for the mass market and have which ping times and not need constant battery replacements.

Combination of battery device, WiFi and cloud to service like nest or hue doesn’t strike me as being capable of being very responsive. Maybe for heating it doesn’t need to be.

As Karl says, its the nirvana but a difficult problem to solve, not least what happens if you leave your phone in one room and go to watch TV in another!

It reminds me of the early advertising fibaro had showing their motion sensors counting kids arriving for a house party whilst the parents were away so they knew how many people were there. Problem was their devices couldn’t do that and it was a long time before they attempted to write the code to do so, which I doubt was successful.

It’s Great marketing and I’m glad more companies are looking at these challenges but I’m not holding my breath until I see devices in the wild.

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:50 am
siclark offline

norcoscia wrote:
I don’t think so even though they are designed to do something very similar. If my memory serves me, pi beacon calculates RF time of flight differences between devices to determine approximate location. These seem to just ID a device and then associate it with the room it is placed in.

As an example I have the heating in the study come on in evening when motion detected via a PIR, but it’s set to a higher temperature if my wife (or rather her phone) is in there rather than me, that is detected by pibeacon and her phone showing piStudy as closest pi.

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:58 am
siclark offline

Ah. Didn’t realise it was a live device. Sounds from the reviews that it struggles with some of the points I made. Plus at $70 a device it’s got to be cheaper to use pi zeroes plus you can use beacons to activate or track.
Admittedly set up of pibeacon and indigo triggers is harder but you can do the same there and adjust the power to try and ensure a phone only activated when actually in the room.

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:18 pm
norcoscia offline

I want Lidar in every room with all the recognition done locally by the indigo host CPU - that would be cool - not only would it be able to ID people it would have exact locations and head counts. Heck, maybe even use hand moments to send silent commands to Indigo. Got a cat that jumps on the counter / table - no problem - indigo can shoo it down. :D

Maybe this will be in Indigo V8...

_______
Norm

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:54 pm
siclark offline

Haha. Think that sounds like no more vacations for Jay. Back to the basement!

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:24 pm
kw123 offline

LIDAR can give you also size of persons: Send message “honey have you lost weight?” But that should not be a symmetric setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:55 pm
kw123 offline

I am adding a state:
closestRPILast
in addition to
closestRPI

then you can see from where you are coming.
Together with
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 13.54.28.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 13.54.28.png (14.01 KiB) Viewed 4205 times
in ibeacon device edit, you can setup a faster reaction time to changes. Otherwise the update is every ~60. secs.

Karl

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:19 pm
mundmc offline

norcoscia wrote:
I want Lidar in every room with all the recognition done locally by the indigo host CPU - that would be cool - not only would it be able to ID people it would have exact locations and head counts. Heck, maybe even use hand moments to send silent commands to Indigo. Got a cat that jumps on the counter / table - no problem - indigo can shoo it down. :D

Maybe this will be in Indigo V8...

^ This isn’t too much to ask for, count me in :)

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:21 pm
siclark offline

kw123 wrote:
I am adding a state:
closestRPILast
in addition to
closestRPI

then you can see from where you are coming.
Together with
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 13.54.28.png
in ibeacon device edit, you can setup a faster reaction time to changes. Otherwise the update is every ~60. secs.

Karl

Who needs Roomme when you have a Karl! This sounds great.. will have fun playing with this.

Posted on
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:56 pm
kw123 offline

BUTTT the iPhone do not behave as simple iBeacons.

the ibeacons are dumb, they just do one thing and only one thing, but that very well: send a ping every 0.x secs.

iPhones sometimes do not answer bluetooth request, especially when they are busy with another device or are in battery save mode ..

Karl

Posted on
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:17 pm
siclark offline

The RoomMe Personal Location Sensor gets some voice assistant love https://flip.it/sXu4Ga

Page 1 of 1