KNX...again!

Posted on
Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:20 am
FaTMax offline

KNX...again!

I have a question...

Came over this today:

http://knxtoday.com/2014/02/3220/knx-be ... pport.html

Does this mean that Indigo potentially can control KNX devices? I've recently started learning about programming KNX, and with my experience with Indigo I know it would blow anything out there out of the water.

I'm NOT a developer, so I'm unsure if I'm able to tackle this on my own. I will try to look into it though. As I now have a few test devices for KNX at home, I could try the copy-paste-google-edit-test approach to see how far I get along with it ;)

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:12 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: KNX...again!

This means it should be possible to create an Indigo plugin that acts as a bridge to KNX devices, but creating such a plugin would be non-trivial. That is, it would not be just a few lines of scripting. Depending on how simple the API is, it might be possible to do basic 1-way (no feedback) control of devices using curl in scripts. I didn't see any examples of the RESTful API though, at least on the first couple of links I followed from that article, so I'm not sure how complex it is.

Posted on
Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:16 pm
OnnoH offline

On a dutch forum I spotted some remarks on KNX.

Codesys (http://www.codesys.com/products/codesys ... ndler.html) seem to have an API/SDK.

They also mentioned a (german) software solution, but that runs on MS Windows and is an Indigo competitor, so I'm not mentioning it her :D

Posted on
Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:52 pm
FaTMax offline

I have now configured switches, dimmers, actuators, binary inputs/outputs, pir's and a fire alarm into a house, all in KNX. As such, I have a much greater understanding of how it all binds together (next on the list is an alarm, then floor heating with thermostats and actuators for the water valves). I see KNX is considered a smart home standard, but it really isn't all that smart. Yes, it's configurable, but once the electrician has left the scene there's not much else you can do but flick on the configured switches. I did make a nice discovery though, which means I'll be doing some testing in the coming weeks on how to initiate lights and such via web commands on the local network. There is a DIN mountable "web server" from Schneider in the house I've been at, so I'm getting one for my own home in a week or two to do some testing. In all its simplicity, it provides IP access to the KNX bus, plus you can use your iPhone with the accompanying app, InSide Control (that one needs to be configured by whoever has the KNX-config file for the house, though). It seems all the app does is check statuses via web urls and also sends commands that way.

Super neat, actually.

Today I set up a Z41 Touch Screen (from Zennio) by my door and connected this to a 2 channel din dimmer and a pill which has a temperature sensor and a PIR sensor connected to it. After I get the InSide Control IP gateway I'll start sniffing my network for commands ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:14 pm
FaTMax offline

Ok,

So far I've found that there is something like this needed for a potential plugin in Indigo. Every customer that has KNX installed should have a overview over the group addresses assigned in their house, through the documentation they receive. Hoping to get working something like this soon!

http://www.openremote.org/display/docs/ ... TS4+Import

Posted on
Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:47 pm
c64 offline

Has anyone had any luck with getting KNX integrated with Indigo?

Posted on
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:14 pm
c64 offline

I'm still eternally hopeful that KNX may one day be supported by Indigo. Should I let that dream go and just move on? We have moved into a house that is all KNX and it kills me that I cant connect it to Indigo. If anyone has any insights/tips I'd love to hear them.

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:52 am
DaveL17 offline

That will require some kind of bridge--either hardware or software--to connect the two. If a KNX controller is open to some kind of external control (API, IP, RS-232, etc.) then it would most likely be possible to create a KNX plugin. That said, I think it would be pretty tough to develop without being able to test it against actual KNX hardware.

My guess is that it would be possible.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:56 am
FaTMax offline

I guess you could set up a Homebridge system as a gateway between the two. All you need on the KNX side is a IP gateway. There’s a KNX library for Homebridge.

Then you’d have to develop a plugin of course..

Posted on
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:49 pm
mclass offline

Just resurrecting this post to point out the following Indigo plugin I came across whilst researching KNX:
{url]https://github.com/KieranBroadfoot/KNX.indigoPlugin[/url]l]

I haven't investigated in detail, but it would appear to require a "knxd" installation on a raspberry pi or alternative Linux device. Seems unnecessarily complex, but it might inspire a "code competent" individual to greater things!!

I was hunting around as I have come across a range of attractive switches and control panels manufactured by HDL Automation (https://www.hdlautomation.com/) that are available wired or wireless and use KNX or their own "Buspro"

mclass

Posted on
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:39 am
DaveL17 offline

mclass wrote:
I was hunting around as I have come across a range of attractive switches and control panels manufactured by HDL Automation (https://www.hdlautomation.com/) that are available wired or wireless and use KNX or their own "Buspro"

mclass

Those look sweet. I'm guessing they cost a pretty penny, too.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:26 am
mclass offline

The rep was talking about $AU100 for a two gang switch, which is comparable to some of the ESP8266-based switches, and much more attractive. The wifi switches are now less attractive since Tuya has blocked OTA flashing with the likes of Tuya-convert

And we’re a bit limited for choice for hardware “down under” due to our “peculiar” ZWave frequency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:36 am
c64 offline

I have been using Kieren's KNX plugin, and it works a treat. Yes, you are correct, in order to make it all work you also need to run knxd. I have knxd running on a virtual machine on the same minimac running Indigo, and it's all fairly straight forward once it is up and running. Our house has KNX equipment throughout, and Kieren's plugin with Indigo makes the KNX system approximately 17 million times better. :D I'm very grateful to Kieren for making it, and definitley recommend trying it out if you have a KNX system.

Page 1 of 1