Looking for Input - Architecting a Google Glassware App

This should be...

Posted on
Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:39 am
dmeeker@mac.com offline

Looking for Input - Architecting a Google Glassware App

Hey Indigoers,

I am one of the cyborgs in training that has been testing Google Glass. I want to create a Glassware application that will allow for control of Indigo. To date, I've done a variety of experiments related to alternative control of Indigo, most recently using the SiriProxy Ruby app that has been contributed.

I am currently using Glass to send SMS messages to Indigo via the Google Voice plugin. That is an ok solution, but not as scalable as I want it to be as I have to rely on the plugin, and I have to manually create every trigger I want Indigo to respond to.

What I really want to do is to create a wrapper for the Indigo REST Api and be able to trigger that from Glass. I am considering taking a very similar approach to how the Siri plugin for Indigo works (Indigo Violet) - https://github.com/msreynolds/siriproxy-violet

The ideal solution would be a single card bundle that appears in Glass that I can "pin" to the Glass timeline. From this "card", I'd be able to tap it and issue a voice command such as "Turn On" (Device name), "Toggle" (Device Name), "Turn Thermostat" (Up/Down), Etc.

The SiriProxy Plugin handles all of this quite well and I'm considering just using that same code. Instead of getting the "command" text from Siri, it would instead be sent from Glass to the Mirror API, be turned into text, then passed to the "app" which would then parse the string and issue the appropriate REST call to my indigo server (which is accessible from the Internet).

There are a bunch of ways to implement this, but wanted to see if anyone had opinions or thoughts on what approach was best. I am currently leaning towards creating a web-based app that makes the REST calls remotely to the Indigo server once a command is received. But, knowing that Indigo can execute Python, it might make more sense to write the whole thing as an Indigo plugin and rely on the Indigo web server and plugin architecture to do this instead of making remote REST calls.

Just starting to think about this now, and thought I would throw it out there.

Any thoughts are more than appreciated.

Dave

Posted on
Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:56 pm
dmeeker@mac.com offline

Re: Looking for Input - Architecting a Google Glassware App

With no comments and two "as a plugin" and two snarky "why would you do this" responses...

I am going to just wrap the REST api for indigo in a google app engine application that will sit in between my indigo instance and Google's Mirror API/Glass.

Almost done. If anyone cares, the two challenges were dealing with authentication (being digest) and creating some sort of response since Indigo does a redirect instead of just returning a status code. Handling both in the same manner that is done in the Indigo Violet Siri Proxy plugin.

Lastly, to answer "why"...

Because wearables are coming our way, and Glass is perfectly suited for this type of data view and voice control. Not only can you trigger things to happen and receive alerts into Glass when rules fire, but the voice control is powerful and it just makes sense. Google recently filed a patent for a home automation system that leverages Glass for appliance control.

Posted on
Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:20 pm
dmeeker@mac.com offline

Hello all. Regardless of no apparent interest by the group (perhaps that will change once the Glass devices actually hit the market) the app is complete and we are just working on some quick cleanup.

Some high-level points:

1) Written as a Java server side app
2) Currently only works in POC mode with my own Indigo server
3) Plans are to either open source the entire WAR so you can deploy it yourselves
or
4) Turn it into a service where, once you sign up, you can enter in your Indigo server IP/Host name and auth information (which we'd encrypt and store) and then use our instance of the middleware between your Google Glass device and your Indigo instance.

To hopefully turn on a new audience to the power of Indigo, the app Web site (hosted by Google) will include info about Perceptive Automation and link to the site. We plan on doing a wave of PR and such about the application, so it should drive some awareness of Indigo.

Posted on
Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:32 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Dave:

Out of curiosity, what is your take on Glass? I'm somewhat intrigue and yet at the same time it seems a bit intrusive / distracting such that many people will be further "distanced" from others and their surroundings. Also curious if people will tend to wear these (or other wearable, watches and the like) constantly or will they be removed when they relax (get home, for instance).

I can actually think of several VERY intriguing uses at work, but these are spot / task specific uses that I think of in terms of them being very beneficial.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:03 am
Randaulf offline

Hi Dave,

I believe to be joining you in cyborg training by next week (I was just included in the next shipment of Glass). Is your app connecting with Indigo still running? I am very interested in linking these two systems (Glass and Indigo) together, and it sounds like you've made some headway.

Page 1 of 1