any way to start a plugin with Rosetta 2 on M1 Mac

Posted on
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:01 pm
MartyS offline

any way to start a plugin with Rosetta 2 on M1 Mac

As I posted here, one of the plugins doesn't load with Indigo 2021.1.n on an M1 Mac because the plugin doesn't contain native ARM code in its shared library. It loaded just fine with Indigo 7.5 when every plugin was handled by Rosetta 2.

As a workaround in case a plugin developer cannot add ARM support to their shared object library, is there any mechanism in the server for forcing a specific plugin into being loaded with Rosetta 2?

I realize that Rosetta 2 is an implementation that Apple may/will pull away from us at some point in the future.

/Marty

Posted on
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: any way to start a plugin with Rosetta 2 on M1 Mac

Unfortunately, it is an all-or-nothing situation when it comes to how Indigo Server starts plugins, and in 2021.1.0 everything is started natively. I cannot think of anyway to hack around or bypass this (that wouldn't require non-trivial functionality added to Indigo Server).

Check your other thread for a possible solution to get the specific plugin working you are having a problem with.

Posted on
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:20 pm
MartyS offline

Re: any way to start a plugin with Rosetta 2 on M1 Mac

Thanks Matt. I knew what the answer likely was, but was hoping for any ideas that you might have tried during the Indigo 2021 development process. And the fact that there are still a few Python .so binaries in the released kit that don't include ARM I thought that maybe there was a way. Sigh…

I did try using `#! arch -x86_64 /usr/bin/python` at the top of the plugin's main Python module but I'm guessing that didn't help because the module is just being loaded by the plugin process… not actually being sent to the command-line.

Back to Indigo 7.5 I go until I can determine how to overcome this issue.

/Marty

Page 1 of 1