Generic RS-232 Amplifier driver?

Posted on
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:58 am
Stoutjesdijk offline

Generic RS-232 Amplifier driver?

Hello,

I have very limited experience programming drivers, and am new to Python. I would love to make a driver for my Arcam amplifier. A quick look at some introductory texts on driver development scared me away for a bit, but I decided to take another look at it. Preferably by hacking an existing driver so I don't need to worry too much about anything except the codes that are sent and received.

Does Indigo currently have a plugin for an RS232 amplifier that is simple to understand an adapt to another brand? If so, I'd love to hear about it and will see what I can do about a plugin for the Arcam AV950 and friends....

Best regards,

Mark

Best regards,

Mark

Trying to tie it all together...
| Indigo | Plex | NAD M33 | Unifi | LG WebOS | Tado | Sonos | SolarEdge | HUE |

Posted on
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Generic RS-232 Amplifier driver?

A quick search on github identified an HA plugin that could probably be used as a starting point for an Indigo plugin. They use Python3 and asyncio, so it might require some non-trivial rework, but it still might give you a leg up even if just to identify the protocol. Note that it uses the receiver's ethernet API, not the serial port: I don't know if yours has ethernet or not, but that would be a much better option IMO so you didn't have to figure out how to get a serial connection between the Mac and the receiver.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:53 pm
howartp offline

I’ve not read your amplifier or the github thread from Jay, but have you looked at the Cynical Network Plugin?

That does serial talk already so might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:46 am
Stoutjesdijk offline

Thanks both!
I prefer RS232 since I can turn the amp on with that...
I'll have to wait a bit to look at the Cynical plugin, as the web site is down right now.

Best regards,

Mark

Trying to tie it all together...
| Indigo | Plex | NAD M33 | Unifi | LG WebOS | Tado | Sonos | SolarEdge | HUE |

Page 1 of 1