Is this too complicated?

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Is this too complicated?

The data hierarchy for the Nexia (Trane) thermostats is interesting. At the top level, you have the login information for nexiahome.com. The username/password for that site, plus the "house ID" that shows up in the URL when you log in, is all that's needed for the library I'm using to access the data. It's not an official API - I'm working with a modified version of the code that's used in Home Assistant.

Using that "API", I can request the data for the thermostat(s) in the house. I only have one true thermostat (one compressor/air handler pair), so I get a single JSON dictionary back. Looking at the Home Assistant code, it implies that if there's more than one HVAC system, it'll return an array of thermostat dictionaries.

Here's where it gets tricky. I have a zoned system. That's two separate areas isolated by dampers on the ducts. Each with it's own (limited) controls. I can set individual schedules and set points for each zone. Each zone shares system mode, humidity readings and control, and fan control, which are all at the "thermostat" level.

So, do I do this with two types (levels) of devices or three? I've got a device for the Account, and that's where the authentication information goes. Do I have a thermostat device that represents one zone, which will conflate the data for both the thermostat and the zone into one device? Or have both a thermostat and zone device? Of which only the zone device would be an Indigo thermostat derived device.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Is this too complicated?

So, do I do this with two types (levels) of devices or three? I've got a device for the Account, and that's where the authentication information goes. Do I have a thermostat device that represents one zone, which will conflate the data for both the thermostat and the zone into one device? Or have both a thermostat and zone device? Of which only the zone device would be an Indigo thermostat derived device.

It is complicated, especially with how you control the schedule and have individual overrides. I think from logical standpoint, I would want to see a Trane Thermostat Indigo Device that does NOT derive from the Indigo Thermostat... it could contain various state information that you are getting back and possibly other (optional) functionality for things that might be shown/set at the whole house level. Filter status, maybe what schedule is running, whatever.

Individual zones would then be their own thermostat device that can be controlled independently. I personally have "slave" thermostat devices (one per zone) that communicate back to the XL950. These can display and control the zone, but they are basically just feeding that back to the main thermostat as if you were at the XL950. They take the place of the little zone temp sensors as they have one embedded. Shouldn't affect the data, but... you never know.

I've done something roughly similar in my Onkyo plugin -- the Zone 2/3 devices are dimmers for setting volume but all communication goes through the main Onkyo receiver device. Actions in the sub devices just pass along to the main device class.

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:14 pm
FlyingDiver offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Individual zones would then be their own thermostat device that can be controlled independently. I personally have "slave" thermostat devices (one per zone) that communicate back to the XL950. These can display and control the zone, but they are basically just feeding that back to the main thermostat as if you were at the XL950. They take the place of the little zone temp sensors as they have one embedded. Shouldn't affect the data, but... you never know.

That's exactly what I have. One main zone with the XL1050 and one slave with TZONE940. You just have two more of those than I have. Mine is also variable speed rather than 2-stage. I'd really like to see the data for someone who has two master thermostats and one nexiahome account...

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:27 pm
RogueProeliator offline

That's exactly what I have. One main zone with the XL1050 and one slave with TZONE940. You just have two more of those than I have. Mine is also variable speed rather than 2-stage. I'd really like to see the data for someone who has two master thermostats and one nexiahome account...

My fan (blower) is variable speed, but the outside compressor is actually two separate compressors/stages in one unit - there is a 5 ton and a 2 ton IIRC (they never work together, it is either/or according to how much cooling it needs). Our setups/data are probably the same, then, but I'll pass it along just the same.

Page 1 of 1