Indigo Packages

Posted on
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 am
DaveL17 offline

Indigo Packages

Adam and I are kicking off a new project, and we're starting to figure out the fundamental structure of the plugin. One aspect of the structure we will need is a comprehensive way to store information and we feel that the best way to do that in this instance is a package bundle. Based on my reading of the Apple Developer Docs, it seems that Indigo (the Application) tells the OS that anything with a name '*.indigoPlugin' is a package. Obviously, we don't want to use that extension. There are other registered names, too:

Apple wrote:
The directory has a known filename extension: .app, .bundle, .framework, .plugin, .kext, and so on.

Question: Are there are any other package extensions that Indigo is sharing with the OS that we might use?

If not, I think it might be a thought, so that plugin developers could all use a standard naming convention when using packages. Does that make sense? My coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:15 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Packages

Indigo only claims ownership of the following extensions:

.indiPref
.indiDb
.indigoPlugin

and only flags the last one as being a package. Are you asking if we can add a new one (to Indigo's info.plist) for plugin data? I'm not opposed to that if you think it will be useful. Are you all just wanting the encapsulation facade so all the data files behave as a single file to the user?

I'm excited to see/hear what you guys are working on together. 8)

Posted on
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:57 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Indigo Packages

matt (support) wrote:
Indigo only claims ownership of the following extensions:

.indiPref
.indiDb
.indigoPlugin

and only flags the last one as being a package. Are you asking if we can add a new one (to Indigo's info.plist) for plugin data? I'm not opposed to that if you think it will be useful. Are you all just wanting the encapsulation facade so all the data files behave as a single file to the user?

I'm excited to see/hear what you guys are working on together. 8)

Thanks Matt. Yes, I'm asking whether it would be possible for you to add one more, which would be the Indigo `standard` for encapsulated plugin support files.

Your other question is spot on. We could easily use one of the built-in extensions like `bundle` or `framework`, but I was thinking that one that had the recognizable Indigo logo icon would be super.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1