Symbolic link for plugin development

Posted on
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:33 pm
joshh385 offline

Symbolic link for plugin development

I feel like I'm missing something very simple/obvious here. I upgraded my Mac recently and am having to setup some of my development environment pieces again. I had previously setup a symbolic link for a plugin I was working on so that indigo would move the link when the plugin is enabled/disabled and not the files themselves, and that was working. When I set it up now though I get the link in the plugin directory, and if I enable/disable the plugin it seems to be impacting the actual files that are stored elsewhere (where the link points).
I also thought I remembered a little write-up for setting up a plugin development environment from the last time I did this, but now I can't find it. Does anyone have something along those lines, or any tips on getting that link setup for the plugin?

Posted on
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:11 pm
FlyingDiver online

Re: Symbolic link for plugin development

I do that all the time. It has to be a symbolic link created in the Terminal. A Finder alias won't work.

Code: Select all
In Terminal:

cd <disabled plugin directory>
ln -s <path to plugin>

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:25 pm
joshh385 offline

Good to know I'm not completely losing it...

Did this at the terminal:

MacMini:Plugins (Disabled) josh$ ln -s "/Users/josh/Public/Indigo Plugins/_packaged/jh.sensibo.indigoPlugin"

And I see jh.sensibo.indigoPlugin show up in the Plugins (Disabled) directory.

I enable the plugin in Indigo and it does start, but it leaves the symlink in the disabled directory, and creates a copy of the plugin in the Plugins directory with a timestamp added to the name
plugin.png
plugin.png (165.01 KiB) Viewed 896 times

Then if I disable it that copy is moved to disabled, and subsequent enable/disable operations appear to just move the copy back and forth and don't pickup changes that I made to the original located over at /Users/josh/Public/Indigo Plugins/_packaged, where the symlink points

Posted on
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:16 pm
FlyingDiver online

What does the Indigo log say when you restart it?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Shut down IndigoServer. Remove all existing aliases and copies in all the Plugins folders. Recreate the alias. Restart Indigo.

I think that'll sort it out. Make sure that you're creating the symlink under the same user account that is running the server.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:48 pm
joshh385 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Shut down IndigoServer. Remove all existing aliases and copies in all the Plugins folders. Recreate the alias. Restart Indigo.

I think that'll sort it out. Make sure that you're creating the symlink under the same user account that is running the server.

This did sort it out. Seems to be working as expected now. Now I'm not sure - I think I tried all these steps before - but the missing piece may have been the stopping of the server. I bet when I ended up removing all the copies and aliases in the plugin directory I only close the indigo app and didn't actually stop the server. Doh! Thanks for the help

Page 1 of 1