A place for biggish stuff

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:04 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

A place for biggish stuff

I have a plugin that needs to store a collection of arbitrarily large files in a persistent way. (Dozens of megabytes; we're not talking gigabytes here.) I need to access them by name quickly (no fair making a big blob out of all of them).

Right now, I'm storing these files in a directory in ~/Library. That works fine of course, but means that they're not tied to Indigo at all. If the user takes their Indigo installation elsewhere, my files don't come along; and I don't get the nice auto-backup-on-version-upgrade behavior either.

I could store those files as properties of my plugin, but I hesitate because I'm not sure shuffling megabytes of data through rpc links is what you had in mind there. Do you have any guidance on size and throughput limits for plugin (or device) properties?

Or alternatively, can you provide or identify a directory inside /L/AS/PA/Indigo X.Y where a plugin can store files for its use? (Indigo X.Y/Preferences/<pluginid>.support might work...) The idea being, of course, that this would be a supported thing and the files get copied during a version upgrade.

I suppose I could also store those files inside my own plugin bundle, but I'm rather treating that as read-only (as every good code bundle should be).

Cheers (and happy almost-new year!)
-- perry

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:15 pm
kw123 offline

Re: A place for biggish stuff

I have my MBytes stored in
/Users/userid/indigo/pluginName
For each of my plugins. No need to move anything w new versions. And users have all rights needed and easy to find and look at.

First I had them in ~/documents. But that syncs with iCloud and those files change too often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:01 pm
FlyingDiver offline

kw123 wrote:
I have my MBytes stored in
/Users/userid/indigo/pluginName
For each of my plugins. No need to move anything w new versions. And users have all rights needed and easy to find and look at.

I prefer not to create stuff in the user's home folder that they don't have any control over.

I think that somewhere under /L/AS/PA/Indigo X.Y is the right place. There's an indigo.server call to get the path. C4W puts his in .../Preferences/Plugins/< pluginID >. Seems logical to me.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FlyingDiver wrote:
There's an indigo.server call to get the path. C4W puts his in .../Preferences/Plugins/< pluginID >. Seems logical to me.

I'd put them into the Preferences/Plugins directory (or a subdirectory in there as C4W does). The entire Preferences folder is copied over for any Indigo upgrade and it's part of the recommended backup path so it should be pretty safe from that perspective.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:31 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

jay (support) wrote:
FlyingDiver wrote:
There's an indigo.server call to get the path. C4W puts his in .../Preferences/Plugins/< pluginID >. Seems logical to me.

I'd put them into the Preferences/Plugins directory (or a subdirectory in there as C4W does). The entire Preferences folder is copied over for any Indigo upgrade and it's part of the recommended backup path so it should be pretty safe from that perspective.

Thank you for your helpful commitment to that behavior in the future. :-)

I'll make a subdirectory in Preferences/Plugins.

Thanks
-- perry

Page 1 of 1