How to Test a Plugin?

Posted on
Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:05 am
autolog offline

How to Test a Plugin?

I have started creating a plugin and was wondering about the best way of testing it.

At the moment, I have created a basic plugin in the folder 'Plugins (Disabled)'.
I am editing the files in the plugin package using Sublime Text 3.
Once I have saved the changes, I enable the plugin which moves the plugin to the folder 'Plugins'.
I enable the plugin and check it out. At this stage just the Device ConfigUI.
I note any bugs & changes required.
I then disable the plugin which moves it back to the folder 'Plugins (Disabled)'.
I am then back into the editing cycle.

Is this the recommended / best way to do it?

Also (it was obviously a bug in my incomplete plugin) but I managed to lock-up my mac-mini while testing the plugin. Indigo locked out with a spinning wheel and then the Activity Monitor locked out as well so that I couldn't cancel Indigo. Are there any tips or tricks to avoid this?

Posted on
Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:48 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: How to Test a Plugin?

We generally put our plugins somewhere (outside of the PA folders) then create a symlink from the plugin into the disabled folder. Then you can edit it without worrying about your editor finding the file since it's only the symlink that's getting moved around. And you really don't have to enable/disable in this scenario either - you just have to reload it after you've made changes. I think Matt has some sublime files that will let you do it from within the editor (search on sublime and it should find it I think).

Best way to avoid a lock up is to make sure you don't do anything that would cause uncontrolled looping behavior with no sleeps (which is likely what caused your issue). I suspect your plugin ran away with you so badly that the rest of the system came to a screeching halt - that's just something you'll learn to avoid when developing any kind of app or plugin.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:10 pm
autolog offline

Re: How to Test a Plugin?

Thanks for the suggestions & pointers :D

Page 1 of 1