Leviosa Shades and Leviosa Zone Controller

Posted on
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:15 pm
boisy offline

Leviosa Shades and Leviosa Zone Controller

I'm about to embark on an adventure with the new house.... motorized shades.

I looked at Serena shades, but found their help a little too hands off... and the price... well, everyone knows they're expensive.

Then I found Leviosa. It turns out this North Carolina based company offers the same material choices as Serena, has a similar smart controller, but around half the price of Serena shades. And their pre-sales support is absolutely the best I have seen. Very hands on, very helpful, and they even setup a video call to look at my window situation and offer guidance.

I ordered a test shade today and their Leviosa Zone Wi-Fi based controller. This shade will go in the dining room and I'll work on an Indigo plugin for their hardware, which has an open API. If things look good, I'll be ordering more shades.

I'll keep everyone informed on this thread as things progress with this shade.

Posted on
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:21 pm
cuhouse offline

Re: Leviosa Shades and Leviosa Zone Controller

Very interested in what you find with the test shade.

We are building also and waiting for rough trades inspection at this time. I had planned to use the Serena shades but I wanted a slim profile version. I ran AWG 16 wire to supply 12 vDC power to 5 window locations. I needed to know where the wire should exit the window from so called Lutron a couple times and they were very helpful. I wanted to use the lowest profile shade thus not using batteries. I found out that the Serena Triathalon is the version I required however they only sell this to their dealers to install. Cost was already above my comfort level so can’t have them professionally installed.

Are you using the hardwire option on the Leviosa shades?

Edit: Reviewing other automation sites and appears some are using Bond bridge to control the Leviosa shades.

Indigo 2022.1.2, Big Sur v11.7.1, Dedicated late 2014 Mac Mini, PowerLinc 2413U.

Posted on
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:11 am
boisy offline

Thanks for responding.

I hardwired AWG 16 to each of my windows in the house (about 22). The wire comes out about 1.5" from the edge of the frame at the top left. I found out that based on the bracket I'm going to use with the Leviosa, I'll need to move the wire over to the top corner of the frame -- not horrible, but will require a Dremel tool to route a channel so I can safely move the wire there. The bracket will cover the cut, so I should be fine.

So yes, I'll be using the hardwire option on the Leviosa shade.

I'm going on faith with this particular company, but their shades are about 1/3 the price of Serena's equivalents. The shade should be in in a couple of weeks. I'll post my impressions here on this thread.

Posted on
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:56 pm
acjobim offline

Very interesting.

New build here also. We are just reaching a year in the place. I have been looking for a motorized shade / blind solution.

I have been looking at battery options. Somfy, etc. I wired the crap out of this place, but unfortunately forgot the windows, low voltage for motion, and POE at the doorbell. No other location (inside or outside) is missing the low voltage / high voltage / Data port it needs for automation.

I might order a test shade also and try these out. They look nice. I have never created a plug in, but I am a coder from way back. Python is the new Basic. We might be able to tag team through the API if you are interested. They seem to support Homekit, which is my wife's preferred touchpoint, so even without a plug in this might be a winner for me. My preference is to integrate through Indigo.

Price is not really an issue for me, but the Leviosa price points are very attractive.

I will let you know if I get one to play with.......

Posted on
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:15 pm
boisy offline

Absolutely. I'd be happy to collaborate with you on this.

Just got the UPS notification that the shade will be in tomorrow. That's a lot faster than the couple of weeks I was told. So far, everything about this company has been underpromise/over-deliver.

We're still a week or so away from really moving into the house. so I'll have to post my installation impressions in a couple of weeks.

Posted on
Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:43 pm
boisy offline

Here's an update:

I finally installed the shade and it works great. The motor is sufficiently quiet (barely noticeable) and the shade is gorgeous. We are very happy with Leviosa!

The next step is to get their smart controller. That will come soon.

Posted on
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:04 pm
boisy offline

Since the last update, we ordered two more shades and installed them this past weekend. They are working absolutely great.

Also, I discovered that my Bond controller works with these shades, so I didn't bother with the Leviosa Zone.

Posted on
Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:59 am
ryanbuckner offline

I'm going to give this a try but I don't have an outlet close by. Any experience with the battery powered versions? This would be on a basement window that gets opened and closed once a day.

Posted on
Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:38 pm
boisy offline

Sorry, no experience with battery operated ones. I wired each window so all I know is the 12V powered version. It works great though.

Page 1 of 1