What Python IDEs & practices are you using?

Posted on
Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:31 am
gsbrewer offline

Re: What Python IDEs & practices are you using?

Thanks for the Reply Dave. I'm glad you are trying PyCharm... I have been programming for 40 years, and have tried many environments and most languages, however I don't usually directly program professionally any more and am new to Python and PyCharm (last year) but I have been very happy with it. Best of luck!

Posted on
Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:47 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

gsbrewer wrote:
...but Pycharm red-flags my "import indigo" statement (no module named indigo)... does anyone know how to get it to recognize the indigo path so that it can properly sanity-check my references to the IOM?

It isn't going to be possible (yet). The Indigo module isn't a normal module, but is built into the Indigo Plugin Host application, which is the special process/sandbox that Indigo uses to run plugins (and Indigo pythons scripts). We've talked about also building a standalone Indigo module that can be included outside the context of the Indigo Plugin Host app, but that doesn't exist yet.

Posted on
Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:16 am
gsbrewer offline

Thank you for the Response Matt... It sounds like a good solution moving forward. A fully functional stand-alone environment would be awesome to have during development. If it would be easy to do, a potential stop-gap measure in the interim could be to have a simple development and test harness as an output from your build environment that we can "link" to but doesn't really do anything except for maybe post log entries. Maybe that would be a good stepping stone toward a full-fledged stand alone environment. In any case, keep up the good work... we all appreciate your efforts.

Posted on
Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:55 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

At the top of your files, if you insert the following you won't get all the red syntax errors:

Code: Select all
try:
    import indigo
except:
    pass

Note, this doesn't add syntax checking for the indigo module, it just hides the errors that show everywhere in the source.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:19 am
gsbrewer offline

Thanks for the great suggestion Jay... At least I don't have to see the red Module Name error anymore.