Home Automation gone bad!

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:48 am
Turribeach offline

Home Automation gone bad!

Hi,

The other night a friend of my daughter came over to watch a movie. He is a 5 year old boy. As soon as he heard me switching lights on/off via Alexa with the Alexa Hue Bridge he started to tell Alexa to switch lights on and off and it wasn't funny anymore :? . So I am looking for a way to prevent this in the future. I have coded all my light triggers to use a conditional override variable so that I can disable light triggers individually per light or for all lights. I can then toggle these override variables or the "all lights override" variable in a control page to prevent light triggers from executing. But since the Alexa Hue Bridge toggles the device directly it's bypassing the override variables I created. I could create an Action Group for each light, where I could evaluate my light override variable, and then define a virtual device that I can link in the Alexa Hue Bridge plugin but this seems like a lot of work. I looked at disabling the Alexa Hue Bridge plugin but it not possible (see this thread since you can only restart() plugins. Any suggestions on how to temporarily disable the Alexa Hue Bridge plugin?

Thanks!

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:54 am
howartp offline

Re: Home Automation gone bad!

Plug Alexa into an Indigo-controlled plug socket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:29 pm
autolog offline

Just disable the Alexa-Hue Bridge device (Comm Enabled column in main UI). :)

That will work, but coincidently, I spotted a bug in the code related to disabled devices :| so you might get an error thrown in the log which you can ignore.
I will release a fix for this in a day or so. :)

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:40 pm
Turribeach offline

Thanks autolog, that's exactly what I wanted. I created a new variable Alexa_Hue_Bridge_Enabled and used a script on a trigger for value change. I added the variable on a control page as on/off button and presto! I can disable the Alexa integration with the touch of a button. Below is the script in case it helps anyone else:

Code: Select all
mydev = indigo.devices[86329839] # "Alexa-Hue Bridge 1"
myvar = indigo.variables[756081712] # "Alexa_Hue_Bridge_Enabled"

if myvar.value == "true":
    indigo.device.enable(mydev, value = True)
else:
    indigo.device.enable(mydev, value = False)

PS: Tested few times and got no errors in the log.

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:14 pm
Turribeach offline

Actually I spoke too soon. When I disable the Alexa Hue Device it indeed prevents Alexa from interacting with devices but when I try to enable it again then Alexa still says the device it’s unresponsive. Is this the bug you will talking about? A plug-in reload seems to solve the problem.

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:24 pm
durosity offline

There isn’t any voice learning function with Alexa is there? I was hoping amazon (and google) would add something like that after the Burger King debacle earlier in the year. That’d be the ultimate solution to stop unauthorised users hijacking your system!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:57 pm
Shutter offline

There's this, but not in the UK yet.

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:34 pm
Different Computers offline

Turribeach wrote:
I created a new variable Alexa_Hue_Bridge_Enabled and used a script on a trigger for value change

For an "automatic" method of triggering this, just use a Fibaro Button, labeled "DO NOT TOUCH" and leave it out where kids can find it.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:55 pm
autolog offline

Turribeach wrote:
Actually I spoke too soon. When I disable the Alexa Hue Device it indeed prevents Alexa from interacting with devices but when I try to enable it again then Alexa still says the device it’s unresponsive. Is this the bug you will talking about? A plug-in reload seems to solve the problem.

It wasn't, so I will take a look at it and sort it out. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:58 pm
howartp offline

Different Computers wrote:
Turribeach wrote:
I created a new variable Alexa_Hue_Bridge_Enabled and used a script on a trigger for value change

For an "automatic" method of triggering this, just use a Fibaro Button, labeled "DO NOT TOUCH" and leave it out where kids can find it.

That’s the kind of thing I was expecting Durosity’s comment to be when I saw his notification pop up earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:36 pm
Turribeach offline

Shutter wrote:
There's this, but not in the UK yet.

It sounds there are still far from what I want, which is to limit Alexa's skills by user profile but I think they will eventually get there. Multiple profiles is also useful, otherwise calendar, tasks, music, etc gets all mixed up. Clearly they are going to get to the point where they have so much context on who's talking that they can figure things out automatically.

Posted on
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:28 pm
DaveL17 offline

Different Computers wrote:

In the spirit of full disclosure, this would work on me, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:23 am
durosity offline

howartp wrote:
That’s the kind of thing I was expecting Durosity’s comment to be when I saw his notification pop up earlier.

I occasionally suggest sensible ideas ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 am
noel1983 offline

I’d take a much simpler approach. Put the child outside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:46 am
Turribeach offline

noel1983 wrote:
I’d take a much simpler approach. Put the child outside!

Thanks Noel but I don’t think that Alexa is waterproof or likes being outside.