Installing Packages on El Capitan

Posted on
Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:39 am
DaveL17 offline

Installing Packages on El Capitan

Trying to install pandas on El Capitan and I'm not getting too far. I've updated pip. I've tried to update setup tools, but that bombs too. I believe this is all related to security enhancements that aren't uniformly applied with an El Capitan upgrade install (rather than a clean install.) In any event, it seems that I'm not able to install Python packages now that I've upgraded to El Capitan (this is the first I've tried.) Have tried with 'sudo' and with '--user'.

Before researching further, I thought I'd stop by to see if anyone has already figured out the steps needed to overcome this issue.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:39 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Installing Packages on El Capitan

Is this the error you're getting?

Code: Select all
Command "python setup.py egg_info" failed with error code 1 in /private/tmp/pip-build-MixvQi/pandas/

If so, I think it's a problem with the pandas installer itself. I'm getting the same error, even though I've had no problem installing other packages on El Capitan. Try installing requests or twilio or django and see if you have a problem with other packages:

Shamu:Season 2 jkeenan$ sudo pip install twilio
DEPRECATION: Python 2.6 is no longer supported by the Python core team, please upgrade your Python. A future version of pip will drop support for Python 2.6
The directory '/Users/jkeenan/Library/Caches/pip/http' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
The directory '/Users/jkeenan/Library/Caches/pip' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
Collecting twilio
/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/pip-8.1.2-py2.6.egg/pip/_vendor/requests/packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:318: SNIMissingWarning: An HTTPS request has been made, but the SNI (Subject Name Indication) extension to TLS is not available on this platform. This may cause the server to present an incorrect TLS certificate, which can cause validation failures. You can upgrade to a newer version of Python to solve this. For more information, see https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/latest/security.html#snimissingwarning.
  SNIMissingWarning
/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/pip-8.1.2-py2.6.egg/pip/_vendor/requests/packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:122: InsecurePlatformWarning: A true SSLContext object is not available. This prevents urllib3 from configuring SSL appropriately and may cause certain SSL connections to fail. You can upgrade to a newer version of Python to solve this. For more information, see https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/latest/security.html#insecureplatformwarning.
  InsecurePlatformWarning
  Downloading twilio-5.4.0.tar.gz (193kB)
    100% |████████████████████████████████| 194kB 2.9MB/s
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): httplib2>=0.7 in /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages (from twilio)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): six in /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages (from twilio)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): pytz in /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Extras/lib/python (from twilio)
Installing collected packages: twilio
  Running setup.py install for twilio ... done
Successfully installed twilio-5.4.0

Also, looking at the info page for the pandas project, I think it may require Python 2.7.

Yup. I was able to install it for 2.7:

Shamu:Season 2 jkeenan$ sudo pip2.7 install pandas
The directory '/Users/jkeenan/Library/Caches/pip/http' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
The directory '/Users/jkeenan/Library/Caches/pip' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
Collecting pandas
  Downloading pandas-0.18.1-cp27-cp27m-macosx_10_6_intel.macosx_10_9_intel.macosx_10_9_x86_64.macosx_10_10_intel.macosx_10_10_x86_64.whl (10.0MB)
    100% |████████████████████████████████| 10.0MB 160kB/s
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): pytz>=2011k in /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python (from pandas)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): python-dateutil in /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python (from pandas)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): numpy>=1.7.0 in /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python (from pandas)
Installing collected packages: pandas
Successfully installed pandas-0.18.1

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:12 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Installing Packages on El Capitan

Thanks Joe! I didn't mean for someone else to research it for me. :D

That was one of the errors I was getting. I was just able to install twilio (I already had requests and django installed) so that appears to be exactly my issue. I'm surprised that pandas requires 2.7, but such is life. I'll need to find an alternative solution as I want to stick with 2.6.

Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1